Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fix (potential) for widespread multiple device problem

It would seem that the problem with multiple duplicate devices is still continuing - particularly but not exclusively for users with PC's.

I posted a fix that has worked for me and asked a VM moderator to publish it as a separate "stickie". That has not happened so I'm re-publishing it in the hope that it will help out others.

I had suffered repeated issues with being locked out due to my PC being registered multiple times and maxing out the permitted devices restriction. It happened on a Win10 PC using both Chrome and Edge as my browser.

If you have device slots remaining then you can go ahead and try this immediately. If you have maxed out then you need to get VM to reset your account - either via call centre or by a helpful VM moderator on this forum if you can get one.

On the suggestion of the moderator I tried Internet Explorer. Now I thought IE had died a death after the launch of Edge but it is still there within Windows 10 but they don't advertise it. You just need to type in Internet Explorer into the search box at the bottom left of the taskbar and you will get the IE app to click on. If you launch IE - just type virgin tvgo into the search box and you will get the Home page of the TVGo software in your search. Just click on the "Home" heading and it will launch the TVGo app. In contrast to Chrome and Edge it does not prompt you to download and install the app (don't know if this is significant).

You can then sign in in the normal way and register your device if you have free slots available. (if your devices are maxed out - try to get a moderator to reset them for you.)

I have been using TvGo in this way on my PC for a over 3 weeks now and have not experienced any problems. Don't know if it's a permanent fix but at least it is proving more reliable than any other browser I've tried.

There is one caveat. IE will only be supported by Microsoft until 2021 - after that there will be no security or other updates. I only hope VM sort out the Chrome and Edge issues before that.

Hope this helps at least some of those with problems

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fix (potential) for widespread multiple device problem

Bumping this post to keep it at the top of the page.

Seems that few people are reading it and trying out my recommendations based on the continuing number of posts reporting the problem.

If you are suffering from multiple device registrations and maximum device limits then read the above.

It has worked for me for the last 3 weeks so it can't do any harm to give it a try.

You will need to have a free device slot available or get a VM Moderator (or the helpline) to reset your devices.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, thank you. I have now stopped using the app from my desktop and deleted. Just use IE and added tvgo to favourites... straight in - noissues.

makes me laugh how virgin technicians are clueless.

again thank you for this. I was getting stressed as you could probably see from my post👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Great to hear you've benefited from the IE approach.

Hope that a few others pick up on it and get a solution to their difficulties.

Only minor issue I've experienced is that when I fire up the TVGo application and click on  a programme to watch live TV, it can take maybe even up to 30 or 40 seconds before the programme starts.

I sincerely hope that Virgin sort out the problem with Chrome, Edge and other browsers before Microsoft withdraw support for IE next year.

Surely it cannot be beyond the expertise of their software gurus to identify why IE is working and the others are not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

using unsupported browsers are not the answer.

the problem is not with TV Go but how the browsers not handle cached data. many browsers cheap this data when you close the browser or randomize any identifiable information to help protect privacy so there is no way for tv go to know its the same system.

There is nothing VM can do about this. If your computer is telling the TV go its a browser that as not been used before it will treat it as a new device. The problem is the users PC end not the software

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your input but I beg to disagree totally with your observations.

Firstly Internet Explorer is not currently unsupported. There is evidence that Microsoft will withdraw update and security support some time in 2021 but currently IE is supported.

Many tens, if not hundreds, of VM subscribers are struggling to use the TVGo service due to compatibility issues with the widely used browsers, Chrome and Edge. Mozilla and Firefox may also be implicated but I do not have first hand knowledge. These customers have been failed for many months with no solution being forthcoming from the tech gurus at Virgin.

Any approach that allows them to use a service that is part of their often expensive packages, should be welcomed rather than criticised.

If you design an application such as TVGo - surely it must be pressure tested in conjunction with the browser that is arguably the most used on a worldwide basis. For you to argue that the problem lies with browser and not with the architecture of the TVGo application is baffling to say the least. Are you seriously suggesting that Chrome should rejig its basic operating process to accommodate a single Virgin application. I think not.

If as you suggest the problem lies with the users PC then please suggest how the users can adjust the cache and cookie settings in their browsers so that the issue of double identification does not occur. I know that my Chrome browser is set to retain cookies and site data on shut down.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

" Are you seriously suggesting that Chrome should rejig its basic operating process to accommodate a single Virgin application. I think not"

No but when it was released it didn't act like this. The problem came from an update on the browser's side.
I suspect it will not be long before VM drop the PC support for TV go and only support mobile devices. It seems to be the way things are going

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

arlowood, could not have said this any better. Do not wish to be disrespectful but some of the Virgin technicians should not have this title as they seem to run from a script and have no idea about how to resolve issues. Arlowood, you are so correct that this app should have been market tested before rolling out. VM need to sort as there are 100s of users struggling with this issue and VM are failing customers by ignoring and blaming them without advising or assisting. Shocking

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bump to help others with this problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator