Menu
andyzking
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Failing to Login to Virgin TV Go - sub account?

I'm trying to login to TVGO and getting the following error message:

"Please sign in with your main user account. Sub-accounts cannot sign in."

I only have one account with Virgin so not sure what it means by sub-account.

I have tried the following as apparent from others having the same issue;
  • Connecting to My Virgin Media online - works fine.
  • Tried to connect to Virgin TV GO via the app on Samsung S10 - Got the same error message, deleted and re-installed the app - same error message.
  • Tried to connect via Google Chrome - same error message. Cleared the cookies/cache - same error message.
  • Tried to connect on an Ipad Mini - Downloaded the app fresh - got the same error.

What is my main account if it's not the one I sign into to use My Virgin Media or why can I not login?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failing to Login to Virgin TV Go - sub account?

Hi there @andyzking

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post on our Forums - I am so sorry that you're having some issues logging into the TVGo.

I really appreciate you going through and advising of all the checks above - that helps enormously and speeds up the process; you've already gone through everything we would need from you so that's great. 

I have located your account from your forum information and can see that you are correct, you do not have any sub accounts at all. In light of this, I've raised an IT Ticket for you so we can take a closer look at what is happening. This has been raised under reference number P010015749

We usually get a reply within around 5 working days if not sooner. Once I have any news, I'll be sure to pop back and let you know. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
the1mrx
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Katie_WT, can you help me escalate this issue as well?

I've been experiencing it since January/February and although I got a "I'll pass your information onto the Team so it can be added to the Ticket." response, I have heard nothing

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi the1mrx

I have reported this for you aswell, It can take up to 10 days maximum to be resolved though 

If you can keep trying over the next week that would be great 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
andyzking
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So I've since been contacted by the IT team over the phone and for anyone that has this problem in the future this might help (maybe still a bit unclear).

What I was told was I needed to go to My Profile and then Manage Accounts in MyVirginMedia and create an account there, i.e. an email with @virginmedia.com.

I set up an email in the My Profile section and tried using that to log in to TV GO - still no success.

Tried to create a sub-account (finally understood what that was) found in the Manage Accounts section where you can set up 9 additional accounts, now considering the error message when logging in told me I couldn't login with a sub-account I wasn't hopeful but thought I'd try as per the conversation with the IT team.

That didn't work either but not because I the account didn't login, more because Virgin's website itself errors, see screenshot of what I saw when trying to create a sub-account. (hint someone tell them to fix it)image.png

Long story short - I tried all this last Friday to no avail, thought I'd come back today (Monday) and try again. Tried again to create a sub-account - still the same error message.

However, I tried logging in to TV GO with my usual email and password for MyVirginMedia and all of a sudden it works?

My suggestion - create a @virginmedia.com email in the My Profile section of MyVirginMedia and then wait a week and try logging in with your usual MyVirginMedia email and password.

Thankfully worked for me, hope that helps someone in the future.

Crockret
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time Andy, much appreciated. Shame the forum team here have no idea whatsoever what is going on.

So VM have moved the goalposts significantly, but didn't think to tell any customers that aren't using a VM email address that they would no longer be able to log into TV Go, just leaving them without any service at all.

Pushing customers to create and use a VM email account is a sly move. Once you start using a VM email address you are essentially held to ransom by it to remain a customer - the second you aren't a VM customer anymore you lose access to that email address.

So to stand any chance of being able to use TV Go it looks like I am going to have to jump through the same hoops you did, creating email addresses I will certainly never use, and be without the service for at least a week, missing several football games into the bargain.

Amazing.

0 Kudos
Markthebaker
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now and have three @virginmedia.com sub accounts although my main account is a ntlworld account. I tried registering again with my ntlworld account again and had the error message that I can’t use a sub account!!! Help.

0 Kudos
shamble95
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Not working for me either, and I can't even create a new sub-account to test with.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I am glad it's fixed for you Andy however it's not true to state it has to be a Virgin Media email address to use TV Go. I use TV Go on a non-Virgin Media address and no issues here. 

Have you all tried deleting and uninstalling the app?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Crockret
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

Have you all tried deleting and uninstalling the app?

Oh, please.