cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every device called My Computer - Google Chrome - unacceptable

whamer999
Tuning in

Hi all

It's SO frustrating that every device is called My Computer - Google Chrome within Device Management.

Virgin, you must give us more information to go on - a registration date, a last used date, a MAC ID, or literally anything to identify which device is which.

When I'm given the option to name a device I always do, but the problem is that this option isn't always offered. And as we can't rename them, we can't rename the current device either.

It's utter madness - I've seen many forum posts where you tell us this feature isn't available and that just isn't an acceptable answer.

We need either more information, or, the ability to rename the current device.  Paying £80/month and we can't even tell which of our devices are which.

Not only this but on devices I know I have registered before and then a new registration is used and another My Computer - Google Chrome comes up yet again.

device management.JPG

24 REPLIES 24

I am using a web browser on one Windows 10 PC and the Windows 10 app on the other.  Under device management it says "my computer - google chrome" for both.  There are also other devices there saying "my computer - google chrome"

I want to rename the two windows 10 devices and delete the other ones.

I don't know where we're going with this.  This isnt a fault.  Device management simply doesnt have the ability to remove devices (only replace them) and also doesnt have the ability to rename them.

Hi saintben1234,

Thanks for coming back, have you tried under Device Management ?

Regards

Paul.

I have experienced the same issue in the past and it is very frustrating.

The only way I have found in the past to identify the separate devices is by running one permanently using Google Chrome and one using Microsoft Edge.

You should be able to name them exactly the same way that you can rename your V6 or Tivo Box and you should be able to delete a device if you need to add another one due to changing the device or it being perceived as a new device.

I am sure in the past with the old TV Go you could delete a device and replace it with another one if you want to.

The old TV go was much better as you could also set programmes to record using it on your laptop which was really handy if you were away on holiday and realised there was something on that you wanted to record. Yes I know that some people can do it using their phone using something called TV Control but not everybody has smartphones plus it just makes so much more sense to be able to do everything all in one place on one website. Changing from the old TV Go was such a huge backward step.

Thewanderer
Joining in

This is so frustrating. Surely Virgin has a competent designer/programmer that can re-design the screen to show what the devices are  and information about use so they can be changed so that devices can be replaced.

I see this issue has been raised constantly and Virgin doesnt seem to have resolved it.

I'm so sorry to hear this is still happening @Thewander

Can I ask if you reset your cache and cookies at all? If so you would need to leave the TV Go ones. 

Do you need to reset the devices at all?

Thank you.