Menu
soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 61
Flag for a moderator

BT Sport / A-League rights on Virgin TV Go

I've been with Virgin Media for around a month now, and all that time I've regularly watched live A-League football on BT Sport via the Virgin TV Go app.

This morning I can't do that. When I stream BT Sport 1 I get a caption on the video which says "Unfortuanately rights restrictions mean that this programme is not currently available to watch on your device". I've had this on three devices, including via the Virgin TV Go website.

Football rights don't suddenly change mid-season, or from game to game. Is this an error? (Incidentally the same message is appearing on BT Sport 3 during tennis highlights)

Thanks,

Stephen H

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Sport / A-League rights on Virgin TV Go

For what it's worth, I'm getting the same error on BT Sport 1 & BT Sport 2 via the app.

So if there is a rights restriction, it's affecting football & cricket.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Interesting. Yeah, I see the same thing now on BT Sport 2 too. All the stranger that it's cricket highlights, and not a live match.

In any case, I've never come across any rights restrictions on the BT Sports channels via Virgin TV Go before today. And this morning I've seen it on three channels within an hour.

Doesn't seem right at all.

Chrisos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 61
Flag for a moderator

I’ve been getting this on a number of programmes over the past few days must be about 50% of the live sport I want to watch. Why are we being charged for services that can’t be provided.

mainly happening in Australia and New Zealand although AFL was fine but also happened with Nascar on Premium Sports

soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 61
Flag for a moderator

BT Sport channels blocked on TV Go / rights restrictions

I've tried to watch several events on several BT Sport channels today via Virgin TV Go only to find the channels blocked with a message reading "Unfortunately rights restrictions mean that this programme is not currently available to watch on your device".

Why is this suddenly happening? I wasn't able to watch Live A-League earlier, nor can I watch the Women's Champions League now. I have been watching these tournaments all season until today.

Virgin Media on Twitter told me to ask BT, which I have done.

In the meantime, 100% of what I've tried to watch today has been blocked. This really isn't good. As a new relatively new customer I'm starting to wonder if I've made a good choice leaving BT TV for Virgin Media.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 61
Flag for a moderator

I'm seeing this error on BT Sport 2 now, but 1 & 3 are ok.

Something odd, it may be a quirk but I'll raise it to VM staff incase anything needs checking out before the sporting weekend.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 61
Flag for a moderator

That would be great, thank you. There are many other reports of this issue from various other customers on Twitter today.

I have raised it with Virgin Media on Twitter and have been told it is due to rights restrictions. But it's too sudden, intermittent and inconsistent for that to be the case. It's on some, not all, games and programmes across several different competitions and sports.

If this was a Champions League / Europa League week....! 

Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi soulfulscotsman, 

Thank you for your post. 

I can confirm that we are aware of the issue when using BT Sport 2 via TV Go.

This has been logged and our team are currently working to resolve the issue. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Nat
soulfulscotsman
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

Many thanks for the follow up - I really appreciate it. Just to be clear, it's not just BT Sport 2. It was also affecting BT Sport 1 and 3 at various times yesterday. I have a couple of screenshots of that if it helps.

Thanks again,

Stephen H

Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. 

Was it the same error message across all three please? 

Yes please, screenshots would be great as I will send them off to the relevant team to make them aware. 

Thank you 

Nat