Menu
togume
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why is MakeSoil.org unsuitable?

We've had multiple reports from users in Europe telling us that they can't access the website because it's being blocked by Child Safe.

Does anyone know why it's being designated as unsuitable? I've tried the Virgin Media chat but they weren't very helpful. Also, I submitted the form to unblock the website but haven't heard back.

Any thoughts would be helpful!

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is MakeSoil.org unsuitable?

It actually seems like it's being blocked on more than just the Virgin Media filter, I've included the link to view the blocked status below. There must be something on the site or some keyword being met which is triggering this.

https://www.blocked.org.uk/site/http://makesoil.org
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

when running a very quick check on source code:

result.PNG

but doubt these should trigger a safety concern, would be a few days for the forum staff to check things over

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
togume
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Very helpful response, @DreamOfCheese! Today I learned about that resource.

Neither of the "View ISP block page" gave any good information, but good to know that MakeSoil is getting through on many ISPs.
0 Kudos
togume
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking a look at that, @paultechy! How did you get those results?

One thing that comes to mind is that MakeSoil is not doing any server side rendering of HTML, which makes some bots/crawlers angry (it's a client-side JavaScript app).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@togume wrote:
Thanks for taking a look at that, @paultechy! How did you get those results?

The results are from W3C's Markup Validation Service.

togume
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Aha - thanks for sharing that.

I'm now getting the same error, however, I'm failing to find that independently. When I look at the source (i.e. Chrome Dev Tools) or just do a `curl -v https://www.makesoil.org` I'm only seeing the single `head` tag.

I wonder if it's because it's mainly a client-side JavaScript app and the W3 validator might not like the way those are set up. I also ran the raw HTML through a linter/formatter and don't see a bad tag.

Thanks for helping me look into this - at this point it's likely what Paul said regarding it not being a safety concern and looking forward to what the powers that be have to say Smiley Happy.
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I believe the head tag warning is due to the fact you have a &lt;script&gt; before the <head> which is against the spec, it's likely confusing the parser into assuming or implying the head is already open.
togume
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Bingo! Thanks, @DreamOfCheese. I didn't catch that script up there as a likely culprit. No reason for that to not be at the very bottom above the closing `body` tag. Hotfix done.
0 Kudos
togume
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Bump on this. https://www.MakeSoil.org is still being blocked by Virgin (and three other ISPs) and we haven't been able to get an answer as to why. Just emailed categorisation@bt.com to try to get an answer for them.

Is there anyone on this forum that might be able to shed some light?

0 Kudos