cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not working

RosieXYZ
Tuning in

Have just realised that websafe is not working. It is turned on but not blocking any websites.

https://1.1.1.1/help shows connected to Virgin Media Business. Have not changed anything at our end.

9 REPLIES 9

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @RosieXYZ 

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry, to hear your websafe is not working. We want to do our best to help. Are you activating websafe as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/web-safe Also, just to confirm do you have a business or residential account with us? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Web safe is activated and is a residential account.

To verify if the websafe is activated, I am sending you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this. I'll be in touch soon
Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cloudflare DNS servers 1.1.1.3 & 1.0.0.3 provide services like websafe/childsafe, if you just want websafe functionality use 1.1.1.2 & 1.0.0.2

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Legend

If you are using the Virgin Media Business DNS that would be why Child Safe is not working.

Use the VM Residential DNS for Child Safe to work.

We have never changed the DNS from whatever they were originally, and Websafe has always worked previously.

In addition I have just checked the settings and all of the optional "categories" that had previously been blocked are now unblocked, and the substantial whitelist I had set up has also disappeared.

Client62
Legend

Looking in this section of the forum is has been quite clear for many months the Web Safe management functions have been problematic to totally broken for many customers. 

Customers that wanted to use office VPN struggled to have Child Safe disabled, equal numbers of parents with young kids were unable to get Child Safe enabled or modified to suit their preferences.

If you need parental control, it is time to look to OpenDNS or similar and a 3rd Party router.  Cost + Complexity sadly.

A quick Google suggests it is not easy to change the DNS used?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"A quick Google suggests it is not easy to change the DNS used" Wrong, it’s very easy to change on a device. What are you using?

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2