cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not blocking apps on iPhone and iPad eg Instagram

Unicornlala
On our wavelength

I have lots of sites blocked through websafe and this works if searching for that site through a browser but it no longer blocks sites if they are accessed via an app.

example Instagram, I cant access it though a browser search so that part is working but I can access it through the app.

this has just started happening and I don’t know why, the apps used to be blocked but now it doesn’t work. I think it’s since an Apple update but I’m not sure, my iPad and iPhone isn’t using a vpn.

Please help thanks.

91 REPLIES 91

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A similar issue raised here, Re: Websafe not blocking apps on iPhone and iPad e... - Page 2 - Virgin Media Community - 4960465, but it only occurred when editing settings. Hopefully when that thread concludes it will also resolve your issue.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi ad31677, thank you for getting in touch to bring tis to our attention! Sorry to hear of your issues with websafe. 

Is this issue still happening daily or have your settings restored and remained? 

Would you be able to confirm what make and model of device you are identifying the issue on - or is it happening on multiple devices? 

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this for you, all the best. 

Molly

ad31677
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply, Molly_T

This seems to be happening regularly now.

I just logged in and visited my web-safe settings.   This time, the blocked/allowed websites tab (the middle) one has kept the last settings I put in there.  But the categories tab has now got everything un-ticked (cheating, nudity, chat etc. - i.e permitted), where as the last time I set it (a couple of days ago) I set everything to ticked (i.e. blocked) and then applied the settings.

I am using a Dell laptop to access the account settings - it is running a fully updated copy of Microsoft Windows 10 Professional, with a fully-updated enterprise-class AV and security solution.  I am accessing a fully updated (as of yesterday) copy of Mozilla Firefox to access the websafe settings page.

Let me know if there's more you need to know.

Best regards,
Aidan

ad31677
On our wavelength
So I have just updated the settings to tick all the category boxes and applied those changes. I checked the websites were listed and then reloaded the page later and the websites have gone again.

ad31677
On our wavelength

Hi, again

So after some more experimentation, I find that if I change settings in either the websites tab or the categories tab, apply the settings and the reload the page, the settings from the other tab have gone.

I have not had time yet to see if this is a Firefox-specific problem or if it affects Edge or Chrome too.

It used to be the case that you could have settings in both the Categories AND the websites tab, Is this no longer the case? If that´s so then the usefulness of this facility is greatly reduced.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ad31677 wrote:

I have not had time yet to see if this is a Firefox-specific problem or if it affects Edge or Chrome too.

Issue is not Firefox specific; can be reproduced in Chromium and Webkit based browsers AFAICS.

NB: when issue occurs server returns status of 500 and message Server Error in browser's console

ad31677
On our wavelength
Thanks for the confirmation.

I hope VM can sort this out soon because I need this to work correctly.

Best regards,
Aidan

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ad31677

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Thank you for raising this, alongside the thread attached above we are still waiting for a fix to be implemented and as soon as we have any updates we'll be sure to provide these for you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

chrys0111
Joining in

Online Security > Enable Child Safe > Click on websites > I add some websites and after some time/days without any reason the list of websites disappear.

Attached is how the page currently looks.

D2E538D8-E78E-40C1-B121-696C14B67103.jpeg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately this is an ongoing issue awaiting an update from the forum team. In the meantime consider using another service that provides similar or better functionality. This can be done by changing the DNS settings of either:

• your home network if using a third-party route — DNS cannot be changed on Hub; any devices connecting should automatically use the DNS configured unless manual set not to
  • on the device itself

Examples of such DNS service providers are:

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks