Menu
urbanaspect
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Websafe does not work even though appears switched on

I have had Websafe activated for several weeks now with the default settings of blocking all categories. It does not appear to have taken effect. I am most interested in the blocking of specific URLs during defined time periods (roblox, tiktok) and this does not work. I have even tried to block bbc as a test which does not work.

I called tech support who could see my settings and confirmed it was set up correctly, indeed they read to me the specific sites I had on my block list. They suggested I factory reset my router which I did - to no avail.

I am using Windows 10 / Chrome / IE. I am not using a VPN or another router - Hub 3.0 is the only device distributing the internet. I have default network settings - DHCP and default DNS servers.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Websafe does not work even though appears switched on

Do Websafe default block sites get blocked?  I'll refrain from suggesting any test web sites, but I'd have thought that searching with the name of any online gambling or "glossy, top shelf publication" would establish that without exposing you to any particular horrors.  If these still appear, seems there's a Websafe activation issue. 

If default websites are blocked but not your custom blocks, then is it a syntax error on the blocked websites, for example does Websafe need (or specifically not need) https:// or does it use abbreviated URLs like www.bbc.co.uk ?  If using full URLs is there an issue that the blocked addresses have http rather than https ?  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
urbanaspect
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

No sites of any category are blocked.... I can get to several betting sites as an example.
I have tried variations on the blocked site URLs, none of which work, so as you suggest it is likely to be more of a general activation issue.
0 Kudos
Ann_Droid
Up to speed
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This may not be helpful.... https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

EG:

# [Google]
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead1.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

#Phishing
127.0.0.1 deviceextff.cool
127.0.0.1 lzpv4smat.com
127.0.0.1 dohehuslade.com
127.0.0.1 tradebay.com
127.0.0.1 googletagmanager.com
127.0.0.1 certify-js.alexametrics.com
127.0.0.1 certify.alexametrics.com
127.0.0.1 r.remarketingpixel.com
127.0.0.1 linkedin.com/company/tradebay/
127.0.0.1 instagram.com/tradebayexchange/
127.0.0.1 t.me/tradebay
127.0.0.1 twitter.com/_TRADEBAY_
127.0.0.1 facebook.com/tradebayexchange
127.0.0.1 talktechdaily.com

So you could add a few personal ones yourself, and I question whether the DNS server value needs changing?

Mine is 192.168.1.1 and goes thru VF "Family Friendly Filter".

All is Calm
0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Web Safe's default settings should block access to VPN websites, are you able to access http://nordvpn.com?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
urbanaspect
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I can access categories of website that should be blocked. Here are my settings:

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you run the standard DNS leak test  does the Hostname result end virginmedia.net?

0 Kudos
urbanaspect
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hostnames:

m25.lon.opendns.com, r2.compute.lon1.edc.strln.net. and variants of these domains. No virginmedia.net.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Web Safe works through Virgin Media's DNS server and on the device you ran the test from this has been overridden to use OpenDNS's DNS. If you restore the default DNS allocated when you connect to the Hub you should find Web Safe works as expected.

0 Kudos
urbanaspect
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. I have not overridden anything, all devices have the same issue. Here are the tcp IPv4 properties of my wireless network adaptor (there is no ethernet connection). It is set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

urbanaspect_0-1594730761539.png

0 Kudos