Menu
Nav2020
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Web Safe stopped working

Hi All,

I am hoping somebody can help me please!

I have just installed Eero by connecting to my Hub 3.0. the Hub is of course Modem only mode.

WiFi working great now and all black spots around the house have been addressed.

The issue I have is that virgin websafe is not working! It is not blocking websites. I have checked the leak link and it does return virgin.net in the standard test results.

Any ideas please? Really desperate to get it working again.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Nav

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Web Safe stopped working

Hi Nav

the VM web safe function only works if your using the VM DNS servers.  So I'm wondering if the Eero is using different DNS servers?

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nav2020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Scott for your response.

I have checked the DNS server and it is the VM DNS I am connected to...

Screenshot_20201224-122841~2.png

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Nav2020 wrote:

Thank you Scott for your response.

I have checked the DNS server and it is the VM DNS I am connected to...

In that case if Web safe is still enabled on your account but is not working then the forum team will need to raise an IT ticket to get this fixed.  I believe this can take up to 10 working days to be resolved after the ticket is raised.

@ModTeam Please can you ask one of the forum team to have a look at this thread and check @Nav2020's account.

As it is Christmas Eve you may not get a staff response for a few days. In the mean time you could try using the eero to filter content.  From what I see online it looks like to comes with a 30 day free trial of eero Secure which has parental controls.

You could also look at configuring the eero to use the Open DNS Family Shield which is free:
https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Both of the above alternatives will almost certainly be better than Web Safe.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Nav2020
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Scott.

I think a ticket needs to be raised and this matter looked in to please. I understand and appreciate it is Christmas and there may be a delay in progressing the ticket 👍

I had been looking in to the Eero Secure functionality you are referring to where filters can be set. However, that is only available in USA and Canada and Amazon has not rolled it out outside of those regions.

I can confirm that web safe is very much enabled. It used to work really well (I have been a fan) and I think it stopped working recently  even before I installed Eero.

Appreciate the suggestion on trying OpenDNS however, I would prefer not to do this because as you know this is decrease the privacy levels and potentially allow other (unknown to me) than VM to have visibility on the web usage in my household.

I will wait to hear back from the support team.

I wish you and the VM team a good Christmas break.

Thanks,

Nav

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Nav2020 wrote:

I had been looking in to the Eero Secure functionality you are referring to where filters can be set. However, that is only available in USA and Canada and Amazon has not rolled it out outside of those regions.

I can confirm that web safe is very much enabled. It used to work really well (I have been a fan) and I think it stopped working recently  even before I installed Eero.

Appreciate the suggestion on trying OpenDNS however, I would prefer not to do this because as you know this is decrease the privacy levels and potentially allow other (unknown to me) than VM to have visibility on the web usage in my household.

I will wait to hear back from the support team.

I wish you and the VM team a good Christmas break.

If Web Safe stopped working before using the eero then we can rule out eero as the culprit, which seemed unlikely to me.  Pity they don't have the Secure option over here.

I haven't encountered many fans of Web Safe on here. IMHO it is a basic tool to comply with UK law rather than an effective set of parental controls.  Anyone in your household can change the DNS on their device to bypass Web Safe.  Setting parental controls at the device level is more effective than Web Safe and can only be bypassed with a password.

Personally I'd be more bothered about VM knowing about my browsing than Open DNS, but each to their own paranoia 😉

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @Nav2020 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your websafe. 

Please can you confirm, if you disable eero if web safe is working? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Nav2020
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

I see what you mean about blocking at device level!

I agree that is better but with my kids, they will just reset the device and have done that so whatever I have installed etc... They rest the device and it removes it.

I.e. family link on Android phones, they simply factory reset the device LOL

Is there another way for me to block things? Maybe a firewall or something?

I have tried without Eero and notice the websites I put in for blocking a while ago are still showing as blocked when I try to access them as a test. But when I add additional new websites to Web Safe, it takes no notice... The same behaviour it with or without Eero. Sounds like the Web Safe is a very very basic tool!

It is a share that Eero Secure has not yet been launched in the UK...

Thanks again,

Nav

0 Kudos
Nav2020
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak,

Thanks for the message and looking in to it.

I have tried without Eero and the following is what I found out - please note the below happens whether I use Eero or not so the behaviour is the same!

The websites I already had as the blocked websites (had entered the websites in the past) are still blocked via the web safe as the web safe page shows when trying to access the websites. However, when I add a new website to block, it does not block it.

I then thought I would switch off Web Safe and check if I can access the previously added websites to be blocked and they still show as blocked by Web Safe... It's like the Web Safe switching on or off has no impact and doesn't respond anymore. Previously, I would  block a site and then after 10 minutes, it would actually be blocked.

Please let me know if you require any further information?

Thanks,

Nav

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Nav2020 wrote:

Hi Zak,

Thanks for the message and looking in to it.

I have tried without Eero and the following is what I found out - please note the below happens whether I use Eero or not so the behaviour is the same!

The websites I already had as the blocked websites (had entered the websites in the past) are still blocked via the web safe as the web safe page shows when trying to access the websites. However, when I add a new website to block, it does not block it.

I then thought I would switch off Web Safe and check if I can access the previously added websites to be blocked and they still show as blocked by Web Safe... It's like the Web Safe switching on or off has no impact and doesn't respond anymore. Previously, I would  block a site and then after 10 minutes, it would actually be blocked.

@Zak_M This sounds to me like the not uncommon issue where Web Safe plays up and in the past your forum colleagues have created a ticket for the IT team and they are able to fix it.

0 Kudos