Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Teen control. Pause broadband

My teenager is a compulsive gamer and has got worse during lockdown.  I started pausing his devices through the virgin app at midnight as he was staying up all night.  But last night I paused 7 devices ( have 2 kids with the teen being the problem).  At 0440, I heard a noise and realised that he had not gone to bed at midnight and somehow was on line.   I checked the virgin app and saw only 4 devices were paused.   How has he unpaused his devices?   I even changed the password.  what else can I do to get control of a pc tech savvy time.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Teen control. Pause broadband

Hello

He may have not unpaused the device but could have changed the MAC address which is how the blocks work on the hub, the MAC address can be changed on games consoles, PC, and even some phones.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  Is there anything I can do to get control?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The only way for you to limit this would be to turn off the wireless if he is connected by wifi or power off the hub, but that will stop all internet. I feel for you with having a teenager who does the same.

You can also by a 3rd party router that allows the wireless at certain time.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A 3rd party router? I don’t understand?    Because he is pc savvy is there a way around that like he’s done with the MAC address? I’m really frustrated because it’s just a lack of respect for rules.   Thank you for helping me.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am a afraid in todays age of technology there are always around it.

You would have to purchase a router from another manufacture then run the hub in modem mode, even with that if he has a mobile  he can then tether the PC to the mobile and still be online.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this thread and the associated links in it:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/How-can-I-turn-my-internet-off-overnight/t...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ehowe

I am sorry to say, both fantastic members @HowardML and @DJ_Shadow1966 are completely spot on.  In this age of technology there's no 100% foolproof way of guaranteeing no internet access.  I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos