Menu
Highlighted
Stringy
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Parental controls

Hi

What parental controls are available,  as facade I can tell you just turn it on or off for everybody.

Whilst I may want parental controls for my 5 year old I don't want my internet access at the same level for me.

can anybody tell me what is available on the modem and by the software provided such as f secure?

Stringy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Parental controls

Hi Stringy, 

So we do offer Web safe/ Child safe which means you can block content but this would block it from the whole of your broadband connection such as content that requires you to be over 18 to access.

We also have our Connect app which is helpful when managing your broadband connection, from here you can block access to a whole device but I'm afraid not certain content.

I hope that makes sense, let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stringy
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emma

Thank you for your reply.

As I thought but I can't really see the reason for blocking everybody based on having a child in the house, surely an account based blocking option would be more sensible?

Say you wanted to access the National Lottery site, if parental controls were set would this mean nobody could access it because it is classed as gambling?

Stringy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I can appreciate that @Stringy and it will be passed on. 

In the meantime depending what the child is doing is it something that the app might have a block on itself?

For example You tube you can log in and set certain parental controls and some devices allow you to lock the device on that actual app. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Stringy 

To get the granular level of control you are looking for the best option is get your own router and put the Hub 3 into modem mode:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

A quick Google search bring up these lists of best parental control routers:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-parental-control-routers-4160776

https://www.wifiattendance.com/blog/parental-control-routers/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BahnStormer
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Stringy look into ScreenTimeLabs - they do a free version that gives you a very decent flavour of what is available and I eventually paid for the base software (£20 per year) and also their Web filtering (£8 per year)... this allows me to setup child profiles on almost all the devices in the house, so whoever logs in gets access appropriate to their age. I'm not sure what the limits are, but I have it setup on all our devices, so there is one profile for each of our 3 kids and it is on about half a dozen devices... they can even unlock our phones and have controlled access.

IF the app developer enables it, it also allows some restrictions within certain apps - e.g. Netflix = enabled, but Netflix profile is locked. But that doesn't work for Amazon Prime.

The main reason I got it was to control screentime, but it has proved very useful as it gives you a central control app/website where you can control and see all the internet search and browsing history of each profile.

The only devices that aren't covered are the Xbox (Microsoft Family takes care of this) and then the TiVo box, which is my main concern now as that has a YouTube "content restriction", but personal experience has repeatedly shown me that this doesn't work at all and there's no way to block YouTube... so hopefully you only have the SuperHub to worry about, not TiVo.

0 Kudos