Menu
Nasser7172
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mac filters

Hi

using mac filters to restrict times for internet usage for the kids.

somehow they have worked out that by turning the hub on and off erases the filters and also the time locks.

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac filters

the parental controls on the vm hub are basic, to say the least. 

if a greater, more robust, level of control is important to you, i would suggest investing some money in a 3rd party router/mesh system that better meets your needs..

0 Kudos
Nasser7172
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks 

can you recommend one ?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Not really for parental control i'm afraid - the TP Link Deco system is well reviewed on these forums though - might be worth looking into that and what controls it would give you..

I believe that Asus routers also offer reasonable performance and additional features around parental control etc.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Nasser7172 wrote:

using mac filters to restrict times for internet usage for the kids.

somehow they have worked out that by turning the hub on and off erases the filters and also the time locks.

They are resetting the Hub to it factory defaults, not simply turning it on and off, and will likely apply the same workaround to any third party router used unless:

1. they do not know the  default password or that it is labelled on the Hub's casing
  2. apart from the latter point above, same applies to third party router

If the default Wi-Fi password is unknown to them then consider either setting a new password or creating a separate Wi-Fi network on the Hub with it own password. At least then if they reset their connections will no longer work until they figure out some other workaround.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Nasser7172 wrote:

Thanks 

can you recommend one ?

Thanks 

A quick Google search brings up these lists of best parental control routers:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-parental-control-routers-4160776

https://www.wifiattendance.com/blog/parental-control-routers/

All routers can be factory reset to bypass parental controls, if the kids have physical access to the router, but I believe Circle with Disney can send you a text message if your darling little cherubs have reset the router.

Most experts agree that talking to kids and educating them are the best parental controls, rather than outsourcing it to tech.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks