Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 71 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac Filtering Hub 3

@Trek2Bianchi wrote:

1. What router do u recommend I buy that would be capable of decent Mac filtering?  I only wanted to restrict wifi access by my 2 kids on their mobile/Nintendo Switch at specific times of the day.

2. I read about turning my VM Hub 3.0 into a modem instead then attaching it to the 3rd party Router I will be buying...do u know of any tutorial(video or website) to help me do this once I've bought a router?

@Trek2Bianchi There are many third party routers with MAC filtering and other parental controls.  A quick Google search brings up these lists of best parental control routers:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-parental-control-routers-4160776

https://www.wifiattendance.com/blog/parental-control-routers/

Instructions for putting your hub into modem mode for use with a third party router are here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

However, if your kids have physical access to the router they could potentially factory reset it and disable any parental settings you have applied. An alternative option is to use the parental controls on the devices themselves.  On the Switch you can control screen time:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-Parental-Controls/Nintendo-Switch-... 

Mobile phones can also be setup to restrict screen time:

Android: https://support.google.com/families/answer/7103340?hl=en

iOS: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208982

If you don't need the process automated then you can use the VM connect app to manually pause Internet access on devices connected to the hub:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Helping-Hands/Total-control-of-your-WiFi-with-Connect-app/ba-p/...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 72 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Which specific model of Netgear Nighthawk?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 73 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Nice. Thanks a lot SCA1972
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 74 of 80
Flag for a moderator

X6. I bought a couple of years ago for £170. I wasn't happy having to purchase a router but there was no other way round it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 75 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this therigler...I will look it up. Wow..it's £173 in Amazon and £188 in Currys tsk tsk tsk!!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 76 of 80
Flag for a moderator

@therigler wrote:

X6. I bought a couple of years ago for £170. I wasn't happy having to purchase a router but there was no other way round it

@therigler Do none of your kid's devices have parental control options?  Seems like another way round it to me and cheaper than buying a new hub or paying Disney. You do however get many other benefits with a third party router, which is why I have one with no kids and no need for parental controls. 

@Trek2Bianchi If all you want is parental controls then the X6 is IMHO overkill.  There are cheaper routers, even Nighthawk ones, that can also use Disney's Circle service if that is what you really want.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 77 of 80
Flag for a moderator

"@Trek2Bianchi If all you want is parental controls then the X6 is IMHO overkill. There are cheaper routers, even Nighthawk ones, that can also use Disney's Circle service if that is what you really want."

Nice again...Im all for a cheaper but will work and "just right" option. Any specific router you can recommend that will work with VM Hub 3.0(as modem). I'd say we have 6 mobile phones, 1 TV, 2 amazon firestick, 1 TIVO box, 2 laptops, 1 NintendoSwitch, and a desktop pc connected by ethernet...those would be the one to connect...not necessarilty all at the same time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 78 of 80
Flag for a moderator

@Trek2Bianchi wrote:
Nice again...Im all for a cheaper but will work and "just right" option. Any specific router you can recommend that will work with VM Hub 3.0(as modem). I'd say we have 6 mobile phones, 1 TV, 2 amazon firestick, 1 TIVO box, 2 laptops, 1 NintendoSwitch, and a desktop pc connected by ethernet...those would be the one to connect...not necessarilty all at the same time.

It is a tricky question like asking what car, TV or mobile phone to buy as everyone has different budgets and preferences. Most routers should work with the Hub in modem mode and be able to cope with that number of devices.  The review sites I linked to previously and others you can find via Google can probably give better advice than me. I have always used Netgear routers and had no issues with them but many on this forum prefer Asus kit and are very anti Netgear.

I'd suggest the no cost option of using the device's built in parental controls first and if they don't work then consider new hardware options.  The other no cost option is talking to them about limiting screen time (plenty of tips online if you Google it) or taking the devices off them at night.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 79 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

To be clear, it's not that it doesn't work - you can set up device limitations for certain times of the day. I'm fairly sure you can even do that for individual devices - I've only ever done one (my son's PC), but I think you can set different times for different devices.

The issue is that if the router get's turned off / on again for whatever reason, the settings aren't stored and you have to put them in all over again. It's quite ridiculous to be honest and (as a software engineer myself) must be easy to fix, but it's been like that for years.

Cheers,

Glen. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 80 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Well I have been very happy with my choice. It does exactly what I want. The kids, who are older teenage, own there own devices so it's much easier for me and my wife to control from our phones. So simple. You buy whatever you want, I am just telling you what is good and what works. 

0 Kudos