Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Limiting children's time online

A big issue for parents is to try to limit the amount of time children spend on the internet. We know from Netflix documentaries like the 'Social Dilemma', featuring the very folk who helped invent social media (and gaming) platforms, that they are designed to be addictive. So why can't Virgin do a MUCH better job of helping us?

We need the following and it needs to be simple to use:

1. The option to limit, by individual device, how much time by day each child gets to spend online and what categories of website they can see. The current approach is too basic. Once you put in place the Virgin filters and time allowance this then applies it to the whole family.  This is useless for a family with children of different ages and where parents are working from home.

2.  Why is it left to the community forum to advise on how to set up individual devices using a complex process that involves cracking into the router and messing with DHCP and IPs etc?  Most parents are not computer coders. Virgin itself, not some kind fellow user, should be telling us how to do this.

3. Why is the video on how to protect children online the last one of 66 videos on your help videos section? 

It just doesn't seem to me that Virgin is committed to helping parents keep their children healthy.  And yes, I know there are those that say it's my job to police them and educate them, but we also need to be given the tools to help us do this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Limiting children's time online

Good Afternoon

If it is a Superhub 3 which you currently have installed you can use our 'Virgin Media Connect' app found on either the google play store / apple app store. 

Once logged into the app if you go to the Broadband tab you should be able to pause and unpause all devices. 

As the account holder should be the only one with login details to the app you will have all control over what devices have internet access.

This link explains in more detail - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/virgin-media-connect-app

Hope this may help.

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Limiting children's time online

Thanks Christy,  this is helpful but is only half a solution. It would be much better if we could set time limits and on off times as opposed to having to pause devices each day. Children do much better when they know what the limits are as opposed to becoming upset, like mine do, each time they feel I am switching off their devices. 

• If you could pass on my comments to those who decide on these things I would be grateful.

Kind regards, James

0 Kudos