Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Limit daughters macbook use

I have a superhub 2 using the timer I can block my daughters iPhone from connecting to the broadband but it doesn't work on her MacBook.  Does anyone know why?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Limit daughters macbook use

Hello

How is the MAC book connecting to the internet is it wired or wireless ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

does the macbook spoof its mac address each time it conenctions

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for answering its very annoying when I have stopped her using her iPhone but she can just use her MacBook instead.  I filter on Mac address & I do think it changes its mac address but I don't think she knows how she does it.  I also filter on IP address just in case that works.  As I am at work all day I can't connect to my hub & try to alter it. She refuses to go to school & I feel that she is laughing at me.  It is a wireless connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Yeah it looks like she is spoofing the MAC address to get around the blocks, if you have access to the MAC I would set up another user that is the administrator, and set her as a standard user this will stop system level changes as long as she doesn't know the admin password.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Check out my post here to create a 2nd wifi using an old cheap router which you will have more control and other time based benefits.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Blocking-internet-access-at-night/td-p/41...

It look a bit technical but there is lots of info on the internet on how to do what I advise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

She refuses to go to school & I feel that she is laughing at me.

Sounds like there's a behavioural issue.  A technology solution that blocks internet access may be able to stop her using your wifi, but as below there's other ways of her getting internet access, and a heavy handed block is not going to solve any underlying behaviour, attitude and relationship issues, and may make things even worse.

A determined and technically adept teenager (or one who simply asks friends, or can operate a search engine) will find a range of ways of getting round a block on wifi access.  If you setup a router that enables you to control her access, when you're out the house what's to stop her connecting directly to the Hub 3?  Even if you physically lock the Hub 3 away, and have bullet proof security on a new wireless router, blocking cable/wifi access is easily circumvented by a PAYG SIM, either in her iPhone, or she could get an old phone and enable that as a PAYG wireless hotspot.   Or she could just buy a mobile data dongle for the Macbook from Argos for as little as fifteen quid.  Or she may stopover with permissive friends, in which case you've no control at all.  If you really got to grip with Apple technology and made yourself device administrator, and locked down all permissions to corporate security standards, you could certainly stop her using those devices other than on your terms - but even then all she has to do is buy a cheap secondhand smartphone for £20 and use that as a "secret" smartphone.  To stop all of these options you'll need to spend some money on a new router, educate yourself about routers and about Apple device administration, physically lock down access to the Hub 3 and the new router, and you'd still need regular fingertip room searches and confiscating any money - I really can't see that going well, and even then I'd wager she could find a way of getting internet access. 

Speaking from experience, I know that raising teenagers in the internet age is challenging, but in some respects the demands on parents are the same as they have always been - the "child-becoming-a-young-adult" always looks to assert their personality, to rebel against authority, to demand independence and privacy, to indulge in varying degrees of experimentation and risk taking behaviours, to sulk and throw a strop when they can't get their way, to refuse to believe that parents know anything, or that parents were themselves young once.  And that was true seventy years ago, fifty years ago and thirty years ago, and it'll be the same in future.  I'd guess those are some of the real issues here, and in my view they won't be solved by MAC filtering and internet access denial even if they do what you say you want them to.  Personally I'd recommend that you consider contacting Relate for advice (no, they don't just do marriage guidance).

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the replies.  I have now managed to block a second MAC address for her MacBook.  She got violent & broke some furniture.  I think she has a severe internet addiction.  My other daughter is 2 years older than her & although she uses the internet she can also come off it.  I fear that each generation are getting more addicted.  Both myself & my husband are disabled & she is a big 5' 8" girl who towers over me.  So I know as a parent I should be able to control her but I can't.

0 Kudos