Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How can I turn my internet off overnight?

Really simple question but apparently very hard to achieve. I want my internet to switch off between 11pm and 7am every day.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I turn my internet off overnight?

Hi Thompben, 

Would you mind if I asked why you wished to do this? 

Generally the internet access feature is something that would remain on. 

It is possible to turn off Wi-fi access but this requires manually changing the Hub settings.

If it is that you wanted to restrict access to the internet for your children (for example), I might suggest using an application such as Google Family as this will allow you to monitor and amend access automatically. 

I hope this helps 

Ed 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ed,
I want to prevent my teenagers from getting online in the middle of the night.
Would you recommend Google Family vs Virgin?
Ben
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben, 

I've not personally set up access restrictions myself on a Virgin hub or used the Google application but I know that I've had a number of customers say that the Google application is really straight forward to use to allow you to stop access to devices. 

Obviously being an employee of Virgin I can't really give a recommendation to use a third party application but it certainly appears to be well reviewed! 

Obviously turning the modem off is another way to achieve this but we don't recommend it as the modems will tend to update themselves overnight and if they are turned off, it can cause issues! 

I hope this helps! 

Ed 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You might also want to consider this recent thread which has lost of advice, but in the end all of these systems can be circumvented so there is no perfect solution. The least perfect solution is to switch the modem off and lock it away at night.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/How-do-I-set-a-timer-to-turn-off-my-broadb...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I simply switch the router off.  Anything that connects it to the mains could 'mysteriously go missing...'.🤐

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You can also try the virgin connect app as in the app you can pause individual internet connections I use it on my daughters iPad and phone. Unfortunately it won’t disconnect the phone from 4G though. 
‘thanks 

adam 

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE ME about saving £50 off of your bill
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In many families the children simply hand their phone and tablet to parents when they go to bed. They get them back in the morning.