Menu
BillStonier
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Child safe Not working on any device even though panel shows it being on and active

Hi, I hope someone can help! We had Virgin Fibre fitted a couple of months ago and the actual internet is fine, but since day#1, the Child-Safe has not worked and any inappropriate websites can be viewed from any device.

I've had many many calls with the support team and no-one can work out what is happening - everyhing seems fine with the child-safe portal, but even if a website is specifically listed, it still isn't blocked. I've re-booted by router more times than you can count (that's the normal thing I'm asked to do!!)

I'm about to give up and change back to my previous (and much much slower) provider as with kids in the house, I really can't have inappropriate websites so easily available.

Please, please please...any advice gratefully accepted.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Child safe Not working on any device even though panel shows it being on and active

Are you using the Hub:

• as a router?
  • in modem mode with your own router?

On a desktop or laptop device open  a Command Shell if using Windows or otherwise a Terminal window and enter the following commands:

nslookup nordvpn.com

and:

nslookup nordvpn.com 194.168.4.100

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BillStonier
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Child safe Not working on any device even though panel shows it being on and active

Many thanks  Very Insightful Person.

I am using the VM router as a modem and am using Huawei Q2 Pro as a mesh network connected via one cable to the VM router.

nslookup nordvpn.com...

Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.3.1

nslookup nordvpn.com 194.168.4.100...

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nordvpn.com
Addresses: 104.17.50.74

0 Kudos
BillStonier
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, I forgot some of the data

Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: nordvpn.com
Addresses: 104.17.50.74

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

When you view the router's home page (go to 192.168.3.1) what IP Address do you under More functions  > About Router > IPv4 > DNS server?

0 Kudos
BillStonier
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks again...

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately the nslookup results and your router's DNS setting confirm your initial observation that Child Safe is not working. The issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to address this now; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

By the way, have you considered using an alternative DNS service to provide similar or better functionality, for instance, Cloudflare for Families, OpenDNS Family Shield, …

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello BillStonier

Sorry to hear about the child safe not working 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
BillStonier
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi, many thanks.

However I've had a look on the web about changing the DNS on the VM hub and as I understand it, this is not possible. If this is incorrect and there is a way, I'd welcome advice on how to change it.

Again, many thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@BillStonier wrote:

However I've had a look on the web about changing the DNS on the VM hub and as I understand it, this is not possible. If this is incorrect and there is a way, I'd welcome advice on how to change it.

You can change DNS on your device not the hub.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos