Menu
Littlefizzal
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Auto Turn Off

Hi

Is there a way that you can have your broadband automatically turn off at a set time?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Auto Turn Off

Not within the hub's settings.  But spend nine quid on a timer and although it's a fiddle to setup, you only do that once (and then its a couple of buttons to flip in and out of summer time). Over-riding the auto-off is easy, but you need to remember to put it back into auto.  Keep the instructions handy, because if you do need to change things it's not at intuitive.  The "no need for a user manual" revolution has bypassed the makers of digital timers (and heating controls).

A mechanical timer is even cheaper and easier to setup and operate, but they sometimes make a quiet but noticeable ticking or whirring noise, which shouldn't matter unless the hub is in or near bedrooms.

I use the electronic one for my hub, and it works perfectly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But please bear in mind that if VM update Hub software they do it in the quiet hours of the night. If your Hub is off you may miss the update. That would be undesirable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Littlefizzal
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML But please bear in mind that if VM update Hub software they do it in the quiet hours of the night. If your Hub is off you may miss the update. That would be undesirable.

Are you sure that's true?  I agree that if the hub is always on then it usually updates overnight, but I believe that the hub does a check for updates when switched on?  I think that the hub asks for updates, rather than it being "pushed" by VM, although I'm open to correction.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are right, but while updating my understanding is that you get an interruption of service, or may get an interruption. Surely better to leave the Hub on to do the updates in the quiet hours. But as you well know turning the Hub off is something that people do; though not me.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's easily fixed - set the timer to start the hub ten minutes earlier than you ever expect to need it!

There's around 5.5 million VM hubs in use.  They use around 12 watts when not in use (there's no real standby).  Assuming that 75% are always on, that's around 50 megawatts of wasted energy when they're running overnight, and a staggering 127 GWh of wasted energy across the year.  Running flat out, Britain's biggest power station (Drax) would have to run for about a day and a half just to cover that wasted energy, and the collective cost is about £16 million pounds added to customers' energy bills.  Leaving a hub on 24/7 just to avoid the very rare extra couple of minutes to update at switch on seems a tad wasteful to me (and I'm no green campaigner).