Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Amazon fire not being filtered by virgin kids safe etc

All my devices are hooked upto the virgin media kid safe feature, they all work as intended except the 2 kids amazon fires. Which are the ones I want it on the most. Some basic checks I’ve looked at are the DNS numbers which show up the same as my phone when on WiFi. Can someone help me to resolve this? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Amazon fire not being filtered by virgin kids safe etc

For VM's web filtering, the devices need to point at the VM DNS.  By default most wireless devices use their software writer's DNS (so Amazon, Google etc).

There may be web filtering options in your Amazon account settings, or you can change the DNS entries to 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 (VM's DNS) and see if that gets the intended outcome?  If you're dealing with teenagers rather than younger children then be aware that they'll soon learn how to circumvent DNS level filtering......

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The DNS is as per VM (194 etc...) 

though I logged onto the modem and noticed that the 2 devices I am having problems with it doesn’t know them by name (amazon) and just by Mac number but the other amazon devices I have it does state amazon. I have lined the compliant device up against the no compliant device in WiFi settings there is no difference except GHz one is set at 2.4 one at 5 

IP address last 2 digits different 

link speed different 

IPv6 addresses different 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Virgin filtering not working on certain devices

I already posted earlier about kid safe not working on the kids devices but on everybody else’s. I have noticed that these 2 computers are 2.4ghz While the exact same device that does have kid safe working is 5ghz.

On the modem settings I have gone onto security. It gives you a list of current devices and option to add device. Just after that it has options for 2.5/5 or both. When I manually change it to ‘both’ kid safe works on these 2 problem devices, though about 5 minutes later i check and it’s not working again. I then find this setting I adjusted is back to 2.4GHz again. I have repeated this process about 5 times now and each time same result. What is going on and what can I do to put this right. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Grichards wrote:

All my devices are hooked upto the virgin media kid safe feature, they all work as intended except the 2 kids amazon fires. Which are the ones I want it on the most. Some basic checks I’ve looked at are the DNS numbers which show up the same as my phone when on WiFi. Can someone help me to resolve this? 

By default access to nordvpn.com should be blocked; if it is then Web Safe is on and working as expected.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin filtering not working on certain devices

Hi there @Grichards 

Thank you for your post and apologies for the delay in response. We have been very busy and doing all we can to get to each community post ASAP. 

Are you still having issues with certain devices and Web Safe? I have checked and reset the option on your account today - please can you try and access restricted content on these devices again please and let me know if you're still having issues? 

Thanks, 

Hollie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos