cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream box 4k hd no way

Retrosi
Joining in

Because we are told 4k uhd needs super fast cables, mostly hdmi which is supplied as part of the package with the new stream box.

How come VM recommended using the ethernet cable, which I agree gives a more stable connection. As is clear the ethernet cable feeding the stream box goes to the power supply plug and not directly to the stream box.

Meaning the signal then goes back down the usb power cable.

This usb power cable is as expected a very thin ie no different to a normal USB power cable.

How is it then it also sends a 4k uhd signal?

Oh yes, it doesn't, it can't, or are we being sold lies by all those companies selling uhd hdmi cables needing to be this and that?

I wonder if using a wireless signal to the stream box would supply a proper 4k uhd signal?

Not that the option for using wireless was obvious.

Also I have compared the screen whilst watching the same HD channels via my original signal and the stream via the ethernet and the stream signal looks bad (colours off and a slight fuzziness) plus the sound level is about 20% quieter.

Both of which to my mind proves the USB power cable can't - doesn't supply a proper 4k uhd signal.

Also any hifi buff will tell you putting a TV signal next to a power cable causes interference. And again I mention how thin the USB cable is, providing power yes and we know data for computers or the like, but 4k uhd, I edit videos and struggle sometimes with full size hdmi, 32gb ram nvme hard drives, an i7 cpu.

I'm surprised and decent signal comes down the USB cable but a reasonable one does. So again are we being sold lies about these supposed super speed hdmi cables.

The one supplied goes from the stream box to the TV so any signal comes into the box via the thin USB cable.

Has anyone used a wireless connection instead of the ethernet cable?

If so have you compared between that and your original connection assuming that was a 4k uhd signal also.

Sorry this thread is long and repeats but what is the truth?

5 REPLIES 5

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Restrosi, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your Stream box.

Okay the Stream box can be used on a cable and WIFI connection, the reason we recommend using a cable connection is because it provides a more stable connection.

As it runs off the internet for everything, using a a cable connection will benefit the box.

I am sorry there is some pixilation on certain channels, which channels are these?  Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi, your reply suggests you haven't understood my topic.

In plain terms I am saying that a 4k uhd signal cannot be sent down the usb power cable.

No matter what is sent via the ethernet cable which I am using because its signal then goes to the TV via said USB power cable.

Which is why I went on to ask if anyone had used the WiFi.

Having said that, question is does the WiFi signal go directly to the box or via the power adapter?

Regards pixelisation, the screen isn't that bad, it's just not 4k uhd when compared to my aerial signal.

andyland
On our wavelength

You're correct that the signal that travels along the USB cable isn't a 4K UHD TV signal, it's an internet connection. 

It's pointless comparing your Stream channels with those on your aerial and expecting a 4K picture. There are only two channels available in 4K on Stream - BT Sport Ultimate and Virgin TV Ultra. All the other channels are either SD or HD. 

If you don't have access to 4K channels, try searching for 4K/UHD content on iplayer or YouTube and see what the quality is like (some content is also in HDR which some TVs have an indicator pop up on screen when they receive a 4K HDR signal) 

Even USB 2, which is what I think the cable/port is, has 480mb potential bandwidth, more than enough for a 4K video encoded at a reasonable (by internet streaming standards) bit rate, and whatever other data the box is getting from the internet. Whether the video they are sending is actually reasonable bitrate for 4K is definitely a good question! Personally I am fairly impressed by the quality of the SD and HD channels though, to my eyes they look identical to the cabled 360 box.

(It is actually perfectly possible to use USB for pure video - many higher end PC monitors allow USB-C connections to send them video data - but HDMI is very entrenched in the general consumer AV space.)

With this being the case as I asked in general.

I wonder why then we are told we need these super duper high speed cables.

Oh yer, money making..

Cheers for the info, I should not have been so lazy as I am in not researching better.