cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream Box Powering Down TV & AV Amp (without me touching the remote)

handsomeinked
Up to speed

I seem to have an issue with the stream box powering my TV and AV Amp off every so many minutes. I have turned off Eco settings on everything and set the eco time out on the stream box to 12 hours. However whilst the TV and AV Amp are powering down the Stream box is still powered up when I turn the amp and TV back on. I am not inadvertently pressing the power button on the stream remote and have turned off the one power function on the stream box. This behaviour doesn't happen when I'm using my AppleTV box, so as far as I can see the only thing which can be causing this is either the stream box itself, or it doesn't play nicely with Denon AV amps as this has happened with two stream boxes now. Someone please help as it's becoming a real pain. 

It’s always best to be positive but we all have crappy days.

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Gig1
9 REPLIES 9

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi handsomeinked,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear your having some issues with your Stream box. Can you confirm if there any issues when the amp is not connected?

Alex_Rm

I can’t as there is no easy way to connect the streambox directly to the tv due to how it is mounted. However, as per the original post, this behaviour doesn’t happen when I’m using the AppleTV which is connected to a different HDMI port on the AV receiver. 

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

Thanks handsomeinked,

This would suggest that the amp is the cause of the issue, having checked things from our side everything looks as it should. Is there a way to unmount the Stream box for the purpose of testing?

Alex_Rm

The issue does NOT happen when I am using the AppleTV box hooked up to the same AV receiver, so please tell me how the amp is to blame!? So an AV receiver has lots of HDMI ports on the back each device connects to its own port. The AV receiver then passes the video to the TV and the sound to the speakers. I should probably also add that I have swapped the ports around and the same behaviour occurs. 

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

It would suggest that the Stream box is not compatible with your third party equipment, which is what we would need to rule out.

Alex_Rm

Then that would be an issue with the streambox NOT my AV Receiver. Which is not exactly a niche brand (it’s Denon) the HDMI ports are standard HDCP 2.2, the same as on ALL modern TVs. Add to this, the fact that eco setting have been turned off on ALL the devices means it’s not the devices thinking they are idle and turning themselves off. What is weird is the Stream box isn’t actually turning itself off, just the attached equipment. Also; HDMI is an industry standard so not sure how you’ve managed to build a device that isn’t compatible with a fairly common device from a fairly common manufacturer using common equipment standards!!!!!!!!!!!  
I mean talk about insanity!!!

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

We're just trying to rule this out as an issue, I'm happy to arrange a technician to take a closer look at this. If however it is your equipment that is found to be the issue, there may be a charge of £25.

Let me know if you'd like me to arrange this and I can pop you over a private message.

Alex_Rm

I’m not sure what you’ve done to rule out my kit as an issue. You’ve ignored the troubleshooting I have done; the last engineer who came and spoke with the person in charge of the software blamed CEC and assumed I was pressing the power button thereby shutting everything down. As I have one power turned off, even if I was inadvertently pressing the power button (I’m not) it wouldn’t shut all the other items down, as I’ve previously stated (which you seem to either ignore, not understand or not believe) this behaviour is not present when I am using the AppleTV BOX attached to the same AV Receiver. In fact I am currently watching house on my AppleTV box, haven’t touched a button in nearly 2 hours and it’s all still powered up! So, please please explain how it is my device that is at fault!? 

Apologies for being snarky but being constantly told the issue is my kit when it only happens when YOUR device is the active input is frustrating. 

VM Hub5 on Gig1, Etc etc

We are not suggesting that your kit is faulty, nor can we as we did not supply it, so we would be unable to troubleshoot it. 

If you think our device to be faulty then I can pop you a private message to arrange an engineer visit, If however we determine it to not be our device at fault, but your equipment then there will be a charge of £25.

Alex_Rm