cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Up Failure Stream Box

Norm1505
Joining in

Just received a new Steam Box. Setup was easy, it instantly recognised my Sony TV so volume, standby etc works from the new remote. I was very impressed until...

I turned the stream box off with the remote (light goes blue as it should), turned it back on (light goes white as it should), but nothing on the TV, as if it's not receiving the HDMI signal. If I press buttons on the remote I can see the stream box receiving the signal (white light flashes) but nothing on the TV, just a blank (no input) black screen. I tried using a different HDMI port on the TV to make sure it wasn't a TV fault but same result.

The only way to get the unit to work again is to unplug it at the back and plug back in, then everything is fine after it's reboot. So I figure it doesn't use a lot of power so I'll just leave it on permanently which is what I did overnight. It's just not a good system.

Bizarrely, it turns itself off after 4 hours. Even more bizarrely, it turns back on perfectly after this timed shut down! I then tried turning off and on again with the remote and it killed it again so I had to unplug.

This seems like a software bug so hopefully they'll repatch it. So as long as I never turn it off using the red remote standby button it's all good.

At least it doesn't reset any of my settings on a reboot so it's perfectly serviceable, just stupidly annoying!

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Norm1505 

The box isn't turning off after 4 hours, it's going into standby.  If you go to Settings > System > Standby Power,  you can adjust the time that the box goes into standby mode from the current 4 hours to either 5, 6 or 24 hours. 

I see you've tried different HDMI ports, but have you tried a different HDMI cable as well?

Your issue might be related to the Stream boxes power leads. There have been a number of Stream boxes sent out with faulty power leads. Do you have a spare usb power lead you can try?

You could also ry a soft reset and/or a hard reset.  

Unplug the USB from the back of the box and then hold the power button on the front of the box while  plugging the USB back in. (Keep hold of the power button while doing this)

Keep holding the power button in when the Welcome screen appears for 5 seconds and then let go. 

A menu will appear. Now tap the power button to select which reset option (hard or soft) you prefer. I would try the soft reset option first, and if that fails try the hard reset.

Then hold the power button again for 5 seconds on the one selected option to reset it. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

daznflo
On our wavelength

Same issue with my box. Had new box and remote replaced by visiting engineer.....Now it's doing exactly the same again...And I've done everything in your list of things to do. No different still not working as it should 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Norm1505 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and a big warm welcome with this being your first post here.

How are you getting on after trying the tips from the very helpful newapollo? Please do provide us with an update

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @daznflo 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and so sorry to hear about the continued issue with your stream box.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some more information and investigate further, keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

daznflo
On our wavelength

I’m still waiting for someone to contact me from Friday. I received the message etc and answered the security questions gave account number, confirmed I’m the account number and confirmed my full name….It’s now Monday….what’s going on .? Customer service on the phone was appalling. I hope this isn’t a repeat 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @daznflo 

I'm afraid that the forums aren't an instant messaging service.  The Forum Staff work on a rota, the same as the call centre staff, and they also work on the social media pages too. They will get back as soon as possible, it's usually 2 to 3 days, plus it's a bank holiday weekend.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

daznflo
On our wavelength

Ok Thanks…That wasn’t explained so sat waiting for someone to contact me after I’d confirmed my account etc….

Thank you for popping back to us @daznflo I have checked and can see that you have now spoken to the agent via the PM> 

Please do continue to chat to them via the PM and we will continue to help.