cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a 2nd STream Box

pga_uk
Tuning in

I have just removed my TV Package to keep broadband and telephone only with the view to moving to streaming services only.

I currently  subscribe to my own services such as Netflix / Prime and don't intend to take any of the VM additional services, so essentially using my non-VM subscriptions, Freeview and streaming (iplayer, 4OD, etc).

My question is this:  If I buy a VM Stream box from Virgin, and also get a 2nd stream box elsewhere (since you cannot get 2nd from Virgin), is there any technical reason why I cannot use the 2nd stream box on 2nd TV to watch my non-VM subscriptions / freeview / streaming content?

Is there any kind of activation needed or are the stream boxes just plug and play?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi pga_uk 

I'm afraid that even if you did manage to source another stream box it wouldn't work. It's only one Stream box per household and needs tying in to your VM account before it will be activated..

Also, VM don't sell the Stream boxes, but a one-off £35 Stream activation fee applies

They need to be returned if you cancel your VM broadband (they won't work with other ISP's) if not there is a charge of £60 https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/price-guides 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave

Very frustrating that you can only run one stream device. Really makes me question whether to go with Virgins Stream or some other Stream Device. Its a shame that Liberty Global (https://www.libertyglobal.com/about/products/mini-tv-box/) don't sell direct to the general public

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Why not just get a Firestick/Chromcast/Humax or one of the many devices which allow streaming TV, and will work on VM or any other ISP?  Example Humax A1 4K Android TV Streaming Box (humaxdirect.co.uk)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pga_uk
Tuning in

I have been looking at other devices , but really like the VM Stream user interface.  Issue with many devices is that the search facility, whilst great for finding content within subscription services, does not work so well with catch-up services (such as iPlayer). Seems that for catchup services, you need to search within their own platforms. Not a fault of the devices, but seems that there is no uniform standard.  It would be great if there was an industry standard that allowed device manufacturers to provide content search across all platforms.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the HUmax A1 - will investigate further

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pga_uk wrote:

Thanks Dave

Very frustrating that you can only run one stream device. Really makes me question whether to go with Virgins Stream or some other Stream Device. Its a shame that Liberty Global (https://www.libertyglobal.com/about/products/mini-tv-box/) don't sell direct to the general public

Liberty Global own numerous cable providers across the UK & Europe, who they have developed the box for. As far as the UK is concerned Virgin Media is Liberty Global (they own all the shares). The VM brand is just used under licence.

I do expect that as VM moves away from cable technology in the next few years that Stream will develop more, but at present V360 is the only multi-room product on offer.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pga_uk
Tuning in

Looked at the Humax A1 4K Android TV Streaming Box (humaxdirect.co.uk) - looks a great device, but no support currently for the catchup service (player, 4OD, ITVX , etc )

Anyone using sometign else )other than firestick or google chromecast)?