Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wifi speed

hi, i have the M50 package. i can get 50mbps hard wired into the router but the wifi is only giving out 17mbps download speed and this goes as low as 12mbps and keeps dropping out, i have followed all the instructions on the web site, i have carried out the system reboot also. i have measured this speed with four separate devices so it is not the device that is faulty. this is the speed when i am stood next to the router so distance is not an issue either.  i am guessing that the smart hub router is at fault. how do i get this changed? i cannot find a solution on the web page and dont really want to spend all night on hold on the phone to a call centre. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi speed

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in modem mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again. Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i have 50mbps coming in, i have tested this already. the issue is the wifi speeds. thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok - what Hub do you have and are you connecting on the 5 or 2.4 GHz wifi band?

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection - but only when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So this isn't a speed or infrastructure issue as you get full speed when wired.

Depending on what hub you have, you could be due an upgrade to a Hub3, or you need to look into optimising your wifi yourself by way of a better router, a mesh system or running some wired AP's

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have a 3.0hub. The speed is low even when I stand next to it. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The hub is 3.0. Not sure how you check or change ghz WiFi band. Everything connects automatically. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Go into the admin pages and split the bands by renaming them to something different. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

tried everything but still not working. managed to contact virgin this morning who have carried out remote tests and said that the hub is faulty. they are sending out a new hub..

thanks for taking the time to respond and offer suggestions.

0 Kudos