Menu
clifftaylor
Dialled in
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

virgin slow connection solution ??

I've just spoken to VM on 150 about our dismal BB speed, and having "run some checks" they're sending what sounded like a signal booster of some kind - does anyone know what this might be (I couldn't understand what the tech person was saying most of the time)??

Thanks

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin slow connection solution ??

If you are suffering poor WiFi speeds - rather than poor broadband - then it could be one of their new 'pods' that will increase the range of your WiFi if correctly installed. There will be full instructions with it.

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
Dialled in
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Broadband is very slow (less then 5 Mb) wireless and wired, so hopefully they'll send something to increase the speed not the wifi range - but as this is VM, I very much doubt it.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, I am sorry to hear your internet speed both wired and WIFI aren't what you expect.

I have had a look your end and can see you do seem to be having more WIFI issues as all your devices are showing a low connection this will effect the speeds you get while doing the speed test.

I can see you have spoken to us and as Jpeg1 rightly advised we have arranged for our WIFI pod to be sent which not only will give you a better signal all around the property but will also increase the speeds you are getting, this is part of our Intelligent WIFI.

You may also wish to have a look at our WIFI tips.

There is also our Connect App with this you can diagnose and fix most WIFI issues and also if needed pause unused devices freeing up Bandwidth for the devices you are using, this app with work in conjunction with the Pods and enable you to get the best from your connection.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
Dialled in
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Pod arrived this morning, and I'm now getting abut 12Mb download which is some way short of the 350Mb we're paying for, and upload is much worse than it was before. The signal as shown on my PC is fine, so the problem seems to be that there isn't enough data getting to the router, which is your problem as supplier, not my problem as consumer. I assume that I can return the Pod if things don't improve - I don't see why I should pay an extra £5 per month to you for a device that probably costs you £1.50.

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
Dialled in
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

And since I changed the router settings as per your tech person, wired connection doesn't work at all.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

When you do a speed test using a wired device with a Gigabit network card putting our router in Modem mode and having nothing else connected what speeds are you getting then?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I have had another look Ciff and it looks like the Pod hasn't been activated, it can take up to 48 hours for it to start working.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
clifftaylor
Dialled in
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Download now about 12Mb, upload about 30Mb, which seems odd.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cliff,

That is strange, I advise you to Give it 48 Hours for the new pods to start working and we can look further into it if there are still issues, I would also advise you to set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts and will also give us a better idea of what is going on.

It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with us. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. please run this for 72 hours and post the results here so we can have a further look into this for you.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos