cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin 1gb

Timpd
Tuning in

will an upgrade to 1gb improve my latency? I tried using the BQM at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/ but it doesnt seem to work with my VM(modem mode)/GoogleNest router combo. Are there any other tools i can use to try & pinpoint poor drops in my connection before i plunge into 1gb. And finally, is 1gb full fttp, ie fibre will be installed to the actual VM hub?

lots of questions.. but i'm reluctant to go 1gb unless it really will be better!

32 REPLIES 32

from various searching i finally decided to reconfigure with the VM Hub in router mode (wifi off) and the GoogleNest tucked behind that in a DMZ. I now get pings from BQM but am concerned in case i'm compromising security? 

Timpd_0-1659962810917.png

live here;

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/aa1ea6f94d3ff316201a992d521057cc410689c1]My Broadband Ping[/url]

err. this is prob better link?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/aa1ea6f94d3ff316201a992d521057cc410689c1

Actually no, your security isn't compromised, in fact some might argue that it's actually slightly improved by doing what you have (they wouldn't actually be correct but still)!

If it works then it's fine, it's just not the most optimal or efficient way of configuring the setup. The VM hub is now responding to the incoming ping requests and answering them which is why it now seems to work, in modem mode, the hub just passes any incoming traffic onto your own router/firewall (the Nest). I believe that the settings to allow the Nest to respond to ping requests on the WAN side is buried in the Firewall settings for it.

ugh.. i'm having really bad issues today using PCoIP & trying to play video from an app at work. Latency is up in the 60's according to pingplotter. 

Timpd_0-1660039654596.png

an ookla test gives me this.. although i'm not sure what the down (330ms) & up (41ms) latencies really mean?

Timpd_1-1660039903161.png

& BQM

Timpd_2-1660039986380.png

any suggestions are more than welcome, i'm at the end of my tether.. roll on BT fttp next year i hope

pingplotter image again... 

Timpd_0-1660040403147.png

this is becoming the most stressful day.. pls pls pls pls can i have this back (from last week)

Timpd_1-1660052942624.png

just get rid of the added hop (80.3.66.145) which seems to be taking my latency well above 70ms, see this one from just now..

Timpd_2-1660053054017.png

is there anyone from VM here who can help????

as this is now my 4th post in a row i have the feeling i'm pretty much talking to myself! i don't care.. it's this or jump out the window!

called VM this morning & got the usual 'there's nothing wrong'. Was asked to reboot hub again & they'll call back 2pm ish. i rebooted & still having massive lag/disconnects due to latency being up in the 70's

Timpd_0-1660129243743.png

i've ordered a Three 5G Broadband router, arrives tomorrow. Latency may not be the 20ms i've had from Virgin in the past but i'm hopeful it'll come in around 40ms which seems to be the tipping point for my ability to work successfully.

Openreach will be running fttp in the next 12 months. So after 15 or so years with VirginMedia i'm not too far off walking out the door & i wont miss the customer experience one bit.

Hey Timpd,

Missery loves company, it looks like you may be having similar issue to me, trying to run PCoip on a virgin M200 connection and struggling to get a stable connection - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/PCoip-home-working-issues-via-ethernet-cable/m-p/5089432

I cant think of anything else to do but run through the mind numbing process of calling up VM support again.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon,

thanks Tkelps, i tried to look at your issue but the link gave me this

Timpd_0-1660137177672.png

i'll try & search it instead... out of curiosity i wonder if we share any geographical similarities? i'm in Brighton connecting to a London workplace?