Menu
morph999
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

very slow download speeds since upgrading to m350

hi, i’ve just upgraded from m100 to m350 and now my speeds are slower than before. done all the usual on and off and resetting router. all the tests etc. and no problems identified but still getting less than before. i used to get 100+ on m100, two days later on m350 not getting 40-50 sometimes.

cant get any response from vm so hoping for any suggestions.

thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: very slow download speeds since upgrading to m350

Are you testing via a wired or wireless connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
morph999
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi, wired connection with known working cables.

thanks for a reply.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You could try a factory reset of the Hub – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

See if that helps. Look in the "configuration file" in the Hub settings and look in the upstream and downsteream "maximum data transfer rate" numbers to see if they have actually applied the update for the higher speed.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
morph999
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i should check the config file first probably, thanks for the suggestion. i’ll try the reset as described after that. if they haven’t applied the update no amount of resetting will help i suppose.

thanks again for reply.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Morph999.

Do you still require some assistance with this or has this been resolved?

Let us know as if needed we're happy to help further.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
morph999
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your message and with thanks to advice in previous posts, i’ve seen some improvement but still not up near 200mb let alone 350mb.

is there a way to test at VM end what speeds it looks like i should be able to see?

i realise congestion will be a factor but max i’m getting is 150mb

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello morph999

Everything on the back end from here looks fine.

I'm thinking maybe a engineers visit to check could fix this

Happy to book one in for you if you wish 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
morph999
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks for that i think i do need that booked please. i’m still not getting any improvement since upgrading.

thanks 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What device are you Speedtesting with?

Post the Configuration tab from the hubs admin pages showing the speed config. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos