Menu
RangerNeil
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

upload/download values.

Could someone please advise what sort of values I should expect returned from speedtest.net on the 100 Mbps service (thats what my account data tells me I an on)??

The reason for asking is  for the last few weeks - dating before Lockdown started even - I have consistently getting these average values:
Ping: 28 ms
Download: 14.11 Mb/s
Upload: 1.21 Mb/s
This making tasks like video calling, watching videos and on-line gaming virtually impossible.  Even simple web page browsing requires me to hit the refresh button 2 or 3 times before the page will load at times.  Of all these the video calling is the most missed - we haven't seen our daughter in over 2 months as she is a Physio in a Respiratory ICU/CCU unit and she dare not visit, nor we her, because of the risk of infection - the wife is recovering from cancer and has no immunity at present.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: upload/download values.

Wired or wireless?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
RangerNeil
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

PC is hard cabled to the Virgin hub.   Oh - and the operating system is Windows 10 64 bit.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Direct to the hub?

I.e not via any switch or powerline adaptor third-party router?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
RangerNeil
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nope - ethernet cabled directly.  What doesn't get transmitted can't get hacked. 🙂

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Tinfoil conspiracies aside, does this only happen at certain times of the day ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@RangerNeil wrote:

Nope - ethernet cabled directly.  What doesn't get transmitted can't get hacked. 🙂

Oh thats cute. you sound like the Apple fanboi that think macs can't get viruses 🙂

Change that mindset or you will get hacked

RangerNeil
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Time-wise its more or less constant throughout the day.  If pressed I would have to say it s marginally better in the morning but not by very much.

@gary_dexter wrote:

Tinfoil conspiracies aside, does this only happen at certain times of the day ?

@

"Oh thats cute. you sound like the Apple fanboi that think macs can't get viruses 

Change that mindset or you will get hacked"

Actually I sound like someone who spent 16 years making sure billions of $$'s worth of corporate product data  from a certain automotive manufacturer that used to exist in Essex did not end up in the wrong hands.  To that effect any machine in this house that runs financials data of any kind is hard cabled to the Virgin hub.   No idea how an Apple "fanboi" works as I detest Apples intensely but that guarantees that the the machines that are not using wireless connectivity to the home net under my control cannot be hacked by those unpleasant type who make a habit of trying to hack into home networks.  As far as I am concerned once the data reaches the Hub and its fibre optic connection it becomes Virgins problem for security.  Things that do use wireless connectivity - phones, laptops etc are never used for financial data.  Oh - and any unregistered device connecting to the wireless side of the net sets off enough alarms to get immediate attention.... 

So - if anyone needs to change a mindset its you because that is NOT the attitude to have on a support forum!!

0 Kudos
RangerNeil
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Average values thoughout the day for the 18-05-20 from www.speedtest.net are:

Ping:          17.5 ms
Download: 7.51 Mb/s
Upload:     7.10 Mb/s

Even for something as simple as web browsing I am constantly having to hit the "Refresh" to get a page to load - especially an image intensive one like on https://intscalemodeller.com/ - audio streaming is patchy whilst video streaming from YouTube keeps freezing then playing a bit then freezing again...    

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello RangerNeil

Thanks for raising this via the forums, we're here to help.

I'm going to send you a Private message to look into this further for you, I look forward to your response.

Rob

0 Kudos