Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

traffic shaping for protocol 41

Hello

I am experiencing traffic shaping when I am using 6in4 tunnel from different providers (tried Hurricane Electric and ipv6.ip4market.ru) for both my download speed is limited to 16-18Mbps.

the connection is wired with CAT5e/6 cables, speedtest shows full speed according to the plan.

I was in contact with HE support, they do not have any caps, do not see any to packets loss on their side, and recommended to contact VM to find a reason for strange traffic routes and possible issues with shaping. I am able to reach the full speed using different provider and the same endpoint.

The VM Indian support is not qualified and trained to understand the issue. Contact details specified for VM on peering exchange page are not working with customers.

Routing to HE looks strange, from my IP traffic goes through German Liberty Global exchange then France and then to HE exchange point to Paris, but VM has a direct exchange in London with HE, and the direct route through London exchange is used on the way back for packets (where the traffic is shaped).

Other people are experiencing the same issue, traceroutes can be found in https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/IPv6-support-on-Virgin-media/td-p/35748/p...

any help? recommendations? or contact details of technical support?

thank you

Max.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Re: traffic shaping for protocol 41

But what could you be downloading over 6in4 tunnel that you can't get over IPv4?

Its unlikely to be resolved and no one likes protocol 41 its a hack to make some type of IPv6 work over IPv4 and was a waste of time then doing real IPv6.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

> But what could you be downloading

Anything I want, I have a few things access to using IPv6 is much better. 

> Its unlikely to be resolved and no one likes protocol 41 it's a hack to make some type of IPv6 work over IPv4

I love it; sadly it is the only way to have IPv6 on VM, as VM proofed itself incapable of deploying native IPv6

> was a waste of time then doing real IPv6.

They wasted time to put shaping in place for some reason; I doubt removing it will affect VM native IPv6 delivery date in 2050+.

There are issues with routing and shaping, also as depends on a segment of the network. It not consistent across users, some users can use the full speed. this shaping is about solving VM network issues and misconfigurations and not about delaying IPv6

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Just adding a "me too" here. VM are traffic shaping my Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel traffic and it's very annoying. VM obviously have no intention of deploying a decent IPv6 service (current plans seem to involve DS Lite, CG-NAT for IPv4 and disabling modem mode, all of which are unacceptable).

I find IPv6 very useful, lots of my traffic routes over it and it's often more responsive than IPv4 connections. It's just that large data transfers over IPv6 are painfully slow because of the traffic shaping and/or the whacky routing VM has in place to Hurricane Electric. I'd love to see both of these fixed.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

can anyone help with the issue? My max speed is stuck in 16Mbps 😞 does Virgin Media have any customer support resources for cases like that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hi ksim,

I am sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with this.

I can confirm that we don't traffic manage our customer's services. Traffic Management

Unfortunately we'd only be able to diagnose and assist with issues regarding your connection on our services. We'd be unable to diagnose issues with your connection quality when using 3rd party services.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

@Tom_S, thanks for the answer, but I do think that helps anyone, you are shaping traffic, that is fact! On purpose or incompetently I can't answer, but you do, and routing look definitely broken, diagnosing that very simple, and can be easily done from your end without involving any third-party.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

routing != Shaping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

VM has issues with both. Routing is strange and shaping is in place.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

ok

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos