Menu
tigga
Up to speed
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

something's happened!

For the last zillion years I've had max performance on my broadband.

I have a unifi network and the SH2ac is set to modem mode (I did have a SH3 but returned it because it was so slow!)

Over the last month, I've noticed Im bot getting the performance I expect on both up and download.

Checking the unifi logs I can see it started happening in early May.

The SH logs show Im getting some problems.

Is this me or is it something at the cabinet?speedspeedlog.jpgupstream.jpgdownstream.jpg

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: something's happened!

There is too much attenuation as all your upstreams are at 51db.

Are there any attenuators on your hub you can remove? 

0 Kudos
tigga
Up to speed
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

OK, so nothing has changed my side... same cables to house, same cables inside house and same devices,,, so this implies it is a VM issue.

Are you saying I need to get an engineer out to fix?

0 Kudos
tigga
Up to speed
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I love VM support (sarcasm!)... so the guy says its in modem mode and I need to disconnect my other equipment (not just switch modem mode off)  

he does a test and says the lights are all green, so its the hub at fault because its old and discontinued - no reason as to why it would suddenly have an attenuation problem.

I ask him how it will fix the attenuation problem and he says, its because the hub is old!!!!  (we run around in circles on this one)

So I say, fine send me a new hub... what happens then?  Are you going to say what the next step is when this makes no difference...

again, its the hub which is your problem. !!!!

The guy didnt have a clue how a network works, what attenuation is, what causes problem, what happens in the cabinet.  He is just following the script.

So they are sending me a new hub - sorry Comcast, i dont need it and didnt want to eat into your profits... its a totally unncessessary expence... and I know I'll be calling back next week for an engineer to come and visit to check why the attenuation is wrong.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

You need more signal, im asking if there are any attenuators you can remove? Or redundanct splitters?  If no, then yes you need a technician

0 Kudos
tigga
Up to speed
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yep that’s what I assumed.

ages ago (many years!) I remember they tweaked something in the cabinet to improve signal.

obviously something has gone and weakened it again.

as I said the help line didn’t understand what is wrong and want to change the hub.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I think we are trying to determine if there is device, like below, between your router and cable:

0 Kudos
tigga
Up to speed
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

thanks for that.   simple answer is no... all there is, is the isolator but that shouldnt cause any attenuation. I've removed it and nope no change to the signal.  

I know there is a splitter on the circuit, and they do cause a little attenuation.  I'll double check that in the morning I think it is 5db drop but obviously I dont want to loose the V6 box.

Whilst I agree if there was a problem with too much attenuation, I could remove some of it, but the basic problem is the signal from the cabinate has clearly dropped.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Attenuators are used to reduce distortion caused by the voltage being too high, just like when a volume control is up too high on audio equipment the sound goes into clipping and distortion.  When the Broadband signal is distorted it becomes harder to read by the Hub and IP distribution equipment.

0 Kudos
tigga
Up to speed
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

hmmm so two things... 

i checked this morning and Im getting better performance close to max but still below on the downstream side (see how that goes today!)

I had a 10dB attenuator laying around (dont ask!) so I tried that and it made no difference.  Signal was still being read at same strengh which I thought was odd!  but also made no difference to the throughput.

I am now curious how the hubs read signal strength and on what cadence... is it instantanious or what?  I did powercycle the hub in between adding the attenuation in case it was prompted by the powercycle.

I am going to assume an engineer is required to check the signal and prob make a tweak at the cabinate.

0 Kudos