Menu
mparaoan
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

slow wired speed on 1G package

I have a 1G package with newest kit just installed. I connect my PC directly to the Hub using the Ethernet cable provided so I shall get the fastest speed. I do not get what I pay for.

he speed according to the check from my VM account is 371 download and 51.67 upload. On samknows is 897 download and 50.7 upload. 

When I use Broadband speed checker test at same  time the download speed is 382 and upload is 41. 

But the real test is something different.

Uplooading a 499 Mb file to Wetransfer took 1:26 which is a real upload speed of 5 Mbs which is 10 times lower than promise and expected.

How can this be sorted out? It make no sense for me to pay for an advertised  high speed package when at user end I get 10x slower speed. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
mparaoan
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

slow connection on 1G package

Second posting on the day.

I did the second test on upstairs device my son's HP new laptop connected via wired booster (TP link speed 500 Mbps connected to the socket, should give best speed no blackspots) using what VM recommends for speed check https://samknows.com/realspeed 

The speed to the Hub was said 1044 and to the device was 71.4 Mbps download (I have scree saver proof).  At the time there was only one device connected in the house to the internet a Samsung smart TV. This means that with 2 devices only connected the speed available to my son for his online University lectures was less than 10% of what expected. I have reset the Hub and makes no difference. No wonder he wants to go back to TalkTalk.

Not sure if this can be fixed and I have very little time from the cool off period to cancel the contract with Virgin without penalties.

0 Kudos
goodbodyj
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow wired speed on 1G package

Could you have been uploading a 499MB (megabyte) file, not a 499Mb (megabit) one?

If so, your upload would have been eight times faster than your calculation and close to what would be expected.

Download does look a bit variable though.  I don't know how reliable the testers are on 1Gb connections as I'm only on 100Mb personally.  Maybe someone else who has a 1Gb connection will be able to comment on a reliable way to measure it.

Can you login to the router and check it's downstream is configured for 1Gb?  I've tried to attach my reading for 100Mb/s.  Divide the number by 1024 then by 1024 again and you get the "Mb/s" rate.  If my maths is correct! 😀

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 15.23.28.png

Good luck!

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, firstly please don't post multiple times about same issue, you won't get help any faster and it impacts other posters getting help and can lead to your posts flagging as spam.

Secondly, I will try and help you with your issues, staff from the team will not get round to this post for up to 2 weeks.

When transferring data (such as uploading) it used Megabytes per second to measure not Megabits as such will appear like as MB/s or Mb/s (so 50Mbps is around 6.2MB/s)

Speeds can very for different reasons, the reason for the computer not processing more then 300-400mbps of your download could be related to computers specs (this includes available memory, CPU performance and hard drive performance) positing computer specs could help us cross that in out of this situation.

I noticed in your other post that you quoted speeds using a network extender rated 500mbps (these rating are purely up to and are affected by all sorts of things such as house wiring if power line adapters, the distance between them for both power line and wireless adapters) generally I've never seen these adapters perform much above 100mbps and most of the time that is because they only have an Ethernet connection of up to 100mbps.

Unfortunately due to the nature of Gig1's service if its testing OK to the Hub you won't really get much assistance from Virgin's support.

I'm happy to help you go through some troubleshooting and check some particulars with the connection to make sure all is as it should be.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
mparaoan
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. For upload at the time it may have been some issues with WeTransfer as the recipient was unable to download the file. The download speed remains highly inconsistent using VM website, Samknows and an independent speed checker website. I am simply not sure I see a benefit of the previous package with speed on 70Mbs. I missed the cool off time so for now I am for 18 months in this contract.

0 Kudos
mparaoan
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for taking your time to help out. I decided to use network extenders in the belief that a wired connection is more reliable than a wi-fi one (with a one year old iPad I have issues with wi-fi connection upstairs; the technician who installed the fancy Hub could not find the VM app which is supposed to help with black spots; he advised me to get the boosters which currently are not available). I got 2 TP links which do say have 1G Ethernet port. I used them for the HP laptops connected directly to the Powerline kits. My download speed remains variable, I cannot see a benefit over the old package of 70 Mbs from TT. Nobody plays online games but 3 people work from home including Zoom meetings. I suppose I have to accept what I get for the duration of the contract now. 

0 Kudos