Menu
christophersan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

slow speed gig1

i am getting really unstable speeds ranging from 320mb to 440mb then 560mb sometimes i get 770mb or 889mb. but most of the time its around about 440mb

can anyone help please been trying to get through to customer support for a while theres a new cable ready to be fitted outside my connection point but nothing has been done since then. 

i am using A 25meter CAT6 ETHERNET CABLE

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow speed gig1

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
christophersan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

christophersan_0-1607259057264.png

this is the speed i am getting to the router and then to my pc im connected by a cat6 ethernet cable

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It may be a good idea to carry out a factory reset on the Hub …

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once the lights are stabilised check your system again.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
christophersan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

hi thanks for getting back to me i have already factory resetting the hub 4. my pc is capable of 1gb speeds as its a recent ddr4 motherboard A320M ethernet is realtek and supports full 1gb duplex and i have an SSD with my OS installed. also tried a speed test on xbox1 and still same low speeds. tried phoning virgin with no luck just sitting hours on end on there 150 number waiting for someone to answer. when i troubleshoot my connection it says theres a problem detected and that the router needs to be rebooted and when its done all of that it finds the same problem and does this over and over again. but it doesn't tell me what the problem is. even when i do a speedtest over wifi its only pushing out around 80 to 85mb on 3 different devices including xbox1 and pc which i have a usb 3.0 wireless adapter. the hub has a thing for getting really hot and its not in a closed space its just sitting there in my livingroom with nothing around it. so i have had to stick a fan underneath the router to keep it cool is this normal for it to be getting so hot

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If possible can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

christophersan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
christophersan
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

MY BQM 

christophersan_0-1607381991100.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

BQM looks like a modest over-utilisation profile (too much traffic for the local network to cope), but normally that on it's own wouldn't be sufficient to reduce speeds.  EDIT: Over-utilisation can affect speeds in severe cases, but where your BQM is not as bad as many we see, I'd not expect it to be reducing your speeds.  See how latency is great in the small hours of the morning, yet hugely variable during waking hours?  Says that when the traffic levels are low your line is providing good levels of latency.

Possibly there's work going on to upgrade the network (you have to hope), and possibly the traffic levels are driven by all the working from home and recent console and game launches, in which case things may improve over the next month or so.  The other possibility reported by a couple of users is that Gig 1 contracts have been sold to users whose local network doesn't yet support it, and they reported similar speed ranges.  If your hub status data shows only 24 downstream channels and no DOCSIS 3.1 channel, that may be the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos