Menu
tellme
Joining in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

slow speed due to congestion - how to fix?

Hi,

For more than a week I am getting 10up 0.3 down on my 50Mb contract during day time (8am-6pm).

In the evening it's back close to the contractual speed.

My router is fine - I run all the test suggested in this forum and last 4 days monitoring are ok BQM 

This is clearly a congestion issue - too many VM customers in my street. How to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow speed due to congestion - how to fix?

Hello

I am afraid that a fix isn't going to be easy as VM will have to add extra capacity to the area and would mean re-segmentation of the local network, with extra equipment need and can take several mths or longer depending on the costs.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@tellme wrote:

Hi,

For more than a week I am getting 10up 0.3 down on my 50Mb contract during day time (8am-6pm).

In the evening it's back close to the contractual speed.

My router is fine - I run all the test suggested in this forum and last 4 days monitoring are ok BQM 

This is clearly a congestion issue - too many VM customers in my street. How to fix this issue?

Your BQM does not show any congestion but rather slight packet loss. Copy and paste your router stats as this might show something amiss.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tellme
Joining in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thanks .. 

I am not an expert - is it correct that my chart show no material packet losses or other issues but the speed is constrained by VM?

It looks like my contract is 50mb but VM limits my speed to 17mb during peak times. Is this correct?

My next-door neighboor has VM 100Mb and he is getting 93Mb whilst I am getting 17mb with my 50mb contract. We run the speed test at the same time with the same app.

My modem data seems fine (see earlier post post )

Many thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Please do not use screen shots.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again.

Use one post for each tab if you wish.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

All I can tell you is your BQM does not show over usage or it would be showing up on your BQM.

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
tellme
Joining in
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robbo, are you an algo?

I have share all the data in here Link as per your post , but the guru didn't show...

0 Kudos
tellme
Joining in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

hi con man

I was wondering how the thinkbroadband site can show if my area is oversubscribed? I think my connection speed is managed down by VM - not sure how thinkbroadband can tell..

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@tellme wrote:

Hi Robbo, are you an algo?

I have share all the data in here Link as per your post , but the guru didn't show...

The BQM does show packet loss, however the ping response (Latency) is unbelievably good for a VM connection:

carl_pearce_0-1610815878500.png

You don't have a second connection on the same device you setup the BQM from?

0 Kudos