Menu
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

slow network?

been having issues for slow internet since way before summer time... i called up in september and got no help. and its still an ongoing problem. its gotten so bad. restarting my modem 5x a day has no effect. my speed test was running on a cat8 ethernet direct to the super hub 4. i have done many other tests daily and its up, down, up down intermittently. downloading large game files on a 1gb contract takes a day to sometimes days. loading a site can be unstable and sluggish. download on a browser single file a few gig for the filesize is like 4.6mbs when it should be hundreds of megs. i've tried many things. i've literally lost my patience.

uve used ookla and i get somewhat promiing results but when i actually use the internet regardless on it stating DL speeds over 500mb im not actually getting what it says.... this afternoon its kbs, all morning kbs this evening  only a few megs. its like that for days being kbs or a few megs. but when im using steam the graph shows large irregularities connection dropouts and the download isnt stable. even for disabled throttling... ive tried many servers but its been like it for more than a year. but if i use another isp such as bt or talktalk its constant on steam dl stream graph. to download gtav on a bt line was like less than 20mins. on my virgin net its unpredictable. could be tomorrow to be finished or the next. if i download more than one file the connection cant sit on one file it stops and goes to another file or just sits at stopping and freezes my entire pc. can easily tell when the net is bad here especially when a mobile app takes longer than usual to load.

i pay £75.99 for 1gb contract and this is what i really get. i had to quit livestreaming due to insufficient bandwidth...

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: slow network?

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

been having issues for slow internet since way before summer time... i called up in september and got no help. and its still an ongoing problem. its gotten so bad. restarting my modem 5x a day has no effect. my speed test was running on a cat8 ethernet direct to the super hub 4. i have done many other tests daily and its up, down, up down intermittently. downloading large game files on a 1gb contract takes a day to sometimes days. loading a site can be unstable and sluggish. download on a browser single file a few gig for the filesize is like 4.6mbs when it should be hundreds of megs. i've tried many things. i've literally lost my patience.

uve used ookla and i get somewhat promiing results but when i actually use the internet regardless on it stating DL speeds over 500mb im not actually getting what it says.... this afternoon its kbs, all morning kbs this evening  only a few megs. its like that for days being kbs or a few megs. but when im using steam the graph shows large irregularities connection dropouts and the download isnt stable. even for disabled throttling... ive tried many servers but its been like it for more than a year. but if i use another isp such as bt or talktalk its constant on steam dl stream graph. to download gtav on a bt line was like less than 20mins. on my virgin net its unpredictable. could be tomorrow to be finished or the next. if i download more than one file the connection cant sit on one file it stops and goes to another file or just sits at stopping and freezes my entire pc. can easily tell when the net is bad here especially when a mobile app takes longer than usual to load.

i pay £75.99 for 1gb contract and this is what i really get. i had to quit livestreaming due to insufficient bandwidth...

Untitled.png

Could you access your HUB and navigate to the 'Connected devices' section on the left hand side.

Please note the 'Speed (Mbps)' next to the above device and ensure the value is 1000, NOT 100.

If it is 100 then there is an issue with either the ethernet cable or the network card in the device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I mean i wish i could do those currently but as i said my gaming pc keeps breaking down due to slow network corrupting and freezing the system... I gotta wait for the dod 5220.22-m to finish first its stuck on over 240hrs before going into anything. My old crusty dell only has a 100mb realtek ethernet and is unable to give me a valid result. My gaming pc is 1000mb realtek. Big difference. My Xperia 5 ii. Is the only device that can monitor at the moment and this is what i get on here? Phone was just released last month so... And is 5g and 5ghz wifi. The modem was right next to me when i made the readings. Not even a few hundred meg.

Screenshot_20201115-152738.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20201115-153328.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Use the Dell to access the Hub Settings and report back the connection speed for the Gaming PC.

I reckon you have got an iffy ethernet cable or the PC NIC drivers are corrupted.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

this was done on my ps4 pro using a cat7 ethernet.DSC_0015.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Games consoles are infamous for inaccurate ethernet speeds although it is still better than Wi-Fi connections.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

the drivers all work fine. ethernet cables are fine i used the same ethernet cable on my uncles BT network and it was spectacularly fast. ive tried turning off all the green energy functions to resolve everything and tried changing the speed and duplex from auto to full 1000. i still get shoddy speeds but i cant do anything on my gaming pc till then. the realtek ethernet on the dell was built to only sustain 100mb so i cant do anything more to change that unless you have a soldering kit and stuff to replace it on the motherboard. all my ethernet cables are cat7 to cat 8. the dell it doesnt really matter what ethernet as i said the network card on that was way before higher than 100 meg was at its time in 2008... and the dell is using virgin medias own cat 6 as i dont have another cat 7 or higher for it as i only use the dell for back up if my gaming pc breaks. the thick cable in the ethernet splitter is the cat8 feeding to the superhub4 and back then splits out to the black cat7 [the gaming black PC 1000mb only network card], the white cat6 VM brand [the crusty silver dell 100mb only network card].DSC_0016.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0017.JPGDSC_0018.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

hey thats all i can show currently as i don't know any magic words to speed up US DoDing a 8TB external HDD USB3.1... unless you know any? hahahahaha. like i said steam crashed my pc hard while trying to download and install 300+ games. it also damaged a partition on my external corrupting it stopping me from being able to use it. all i could do was start DoDing the system. windows disk checker and repair could not fix the broken partition. and black ops 3 would not install because of this. and if it was not for a broken black ops cold war on release also freezing my pc too with their error code that i reported back to treyarch. i cant tell if that may have been the cause to a corruption to my system too. but downloading under 50mb on steam with throttling off and its intermittently unstable and freezing my pc as it eats my fx8350 cpu yeah i've played with my cpu affinity to restrict the stame app to 4core as it locks my pc at all 8core. like i said its very hard to tell if its VM throttling or steam. or even origin. last month i caught origin stuck at 100% cpu utilization while downloading and installing. similar to steam... see with these problems its actually hard to tell and when i even do speed tests on the modem. it shows its consuming at least over 1gb. but i just don't know. i get the realtek drivers directly from realtek themselves as dell has the old outdated driver. my driver for the dell is a 2020 release not dells 2009 release... same for my gaming pc. i do update my things completely. maybe its windows 7 being a dick... but i do experience the same when downloading from steam and origin on windows 10 too. i download anything form the windows 10 store its fine. but steam, origin, GOG, Epic, blizzard. are bloody slow when throttling is off or on.

0 Kudos