Menu
pbritton
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

slow broadband

I've been measuring my broadband speeds for a week now at various times of day and the readings have been between 1.9 and 25.60 Mb/sec. I am paying for a service that promises up to 200 Mb/sec. All readings were taken on a macbook connected by wifi. The only hub data that I could find are as follows:

Activity Summary

See how much data you have uploaded and downloaded since your Super Hub was last power cycled (that's switched on or rebooted). This information will be automatically reset when you next power cycle your Super Hub, or you can reset it manually.

Session Time   13day 06h:42m:34s
Session Data Downloaded   62,334 MB
Session Data Uploaded   4,720 MB

Devices Connected

See which wired and wireless devices are connected to your Super Hub and how long they've been connected.

Wired DevicesMAC Address IP Address Device Name Time ConnectedWireless DevicesMAC Address IP Address Device Name Time Connected
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.5HPCC1EDB13days 06hrs 38mins 21s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.12Galaxy-J5-20162days 01hrs 13mins 41s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.9CarolinesiPhone13days 06hrs 37mins 58s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.4WN3000RP13days 06hrs 38mins 35s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.10Caroline-John13days 06hrs 35mins 11s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.7Peters-Air0days 09hrs 25mins 43s
**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.8 13days 06hrs 38mins 16s
WAN IP Address
WAN IP Address  86.23.193.193

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: slow broadband

Test speed by wire.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
pbritton
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply; sorry for the delay in responding. I've done as you suggest and recorded a download speed of 155 Mb/s. So the problem is clearly with my Wifi but what can I do about it?

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@pbritton wrote:

Thanks for the reply; sorry for the delay in responding. I've done as you suggest and recorded a download speed of 155 Mb/s. So the problem is clearly with my Wifi but what can I do about it?

You need to be connected to 5Ghz for better speeds or else you have a problem with your wifi card. Also try a reset on the Hub first. Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 10-15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.
Please ensure that your WiFi network password is still readable on the Hub sticker before you do this or that you at least have a copy of your original network password.

Also try splitting the wifi bands

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
pbritton
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much I'll give them all a try and let you know the result.

0 Kudos
pbritton
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi again conman33158

I've reset the Hub but wasn't successful in trying to split the signal. I got as far as Advanced>Wireless but there wasn't a Smart Wi-Fi option and I couldn't, therefore find a way to disable "channel optimisation".

I tried connecting with 5G anyway and that gave a marginally faster 30Mb/sec in my living room but, interestingly, was no better than this when sitting next to the Hub in my study upstairs. I wondered if the router might need an upgrade or whether I should invest in a Mesh Wi-Wi extender system ( I have a 4-bed detached house and also have reception problems in a conservatory at the back of the house). I would be grateful for any views you might have on these options.

Peter

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about the WiFi issues Peter. I've checked things from here and there would bee no Smart WiFi option for your hub - on yours the bands should be split automatically -  when searching for a WiFi connection from your device do you see separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connections you can choose from?

If you haven't already have a look at the WiFi troubleshooting tips here as well & keep us posted with how you get on.

Tom 

0 Kudos
pbritton
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tom

Yes, I do see both the 2g and 5g networks and have tried both. As I said in my last email, the 5g makes only a marginal improvement even when next to the router. I've also read the WiFi advice but without success. This makes me wonder whether the router is at fault and whether a Mesh network extender system (which as I understand it would use the Virgin Hub in modem mode and provide its own router) would help. Do you have any views on this please?

Peter

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you’re getting good speed on a wired connection and poor wifi speed and range you would probably be better of investing in a decent third party router, that way you can put the Virgin Hub into modem mode and let the router deal with all the traffic. This would give you better wi-fi coverage and if you go for the likes of a wi-fi 6 capable router you would get better speeds. There are loads of options from Asus, TP Link etc and seeing as the VM Hubs are well known for their lack of wi-fi capabilities you would be better of using your own equipment. I know it's a case of having to spend money that you shouldn't have to, but it really is worth it and gives you a better all round stable internet experience 🙂

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
pbritton
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello again and thank you.

I'v bought and installed the Netgear Orbi mesh system and am now totally baffled. Here's why.

I measured download speeds on my Macbook on WiFi one immediately after the other on the following speed test site (I am ini the same room as one of the Orbi satellites):

Virgin 28: Broadbandspeedtest.org 101: Broadband.co.uk  113: Broadbendgenie  38: Compare the market  10.1: Vodafone  24: Which  42: Fasterbroadband  155: Uswitch  39: Measurementlab  197: Broadbanspeedchecker  30: Ookla  24: Thinkbroadband  173: Freeola  173: Talktalk  30.

So I now haven't a clue what speed I am actually getting when I stream video on the same computer. Do you have any suggestions as to why these speeds vary so wildly?

0 Kudos