cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

really slow FTP transfer speeds on 1 Gb line

mistermofo
Joining in

hi i have been having issues with FTP transfer speeds for a about 2-3 weeks now and its really getting frustrating

i'm on the 1 GB package and internet speed test show a decent speeds

but the minute i try to download from my server seedbox based in the netherlands it dies.

i get on average 30mbps on file transfers, sometimes it starts off at a healthy speed Is 900+ mbps then after a few seconds drops down to bewteen 10- 40 mbps

i have used this system for about 5 years and never had issues with transfer speed until now .

used to go funny for a few days max then back to normal speeds but the last 2-3 weeks it been the same everyday and i seem to be stuck at anywhere between 10-40mbps on ftp downloads. everything else works as normal

i have rerouted ftp downloads and it makes no difference .

have had discussions with the seedbox provider and they have said traceroute is showing a 90% packet loss at several hops and since i have rerouted several times they believe the issue is with my isp being overcrowded

can anyone shed some light on this issue are virgin throttling my ftp downloads?

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Does it do it with hub in modem mode?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes no change 

You test with FTP in passive and active modes?

Get this TCPing
https://download.elifulkerson.com/files/tcping/0.39/x64/
and
tcping64 -t IP of FTP 21

not sure what to do with this ling you sent

tried differnt modes ie passive active no change

Its to test packet loss over TCP to your FTP

Go to C:\

make new folder “tcping64”

Download tcping64.exe to that folder

right click on tcping64.exe click show more options and create shortcut

right click on tcping64.exe – Shortcut click properties

put in target cmd and apply

run tcping64.exe – Shortcut

now test your site with

tcping64 -t “IP of FTP” 21

IPFreely
Fibre optic

@mistermofo wrote:

i have rerouted ftp downloads and it makes no difference .

have had discussions with the seedbox provider and they have said traceroute is showing a 90% packet loss at several hops and since i have rerouted several times they believe the issue is with my isp being overcrowded

can anyone shed some light on this issue are virgin throttling my ftp downloads?

They aren't, no. It's possible that the connection between them and the seedbox provider has been allowed to overload though. There's little incentive in VM or their parent company, you're probably connecting through the parent company, being too bothered if the connection to a seedbox provider congests. VM cannot throttle anything and certainly wouldn't choose FTP if they were to throttle anything.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'rerouting' downloads: your seedbox provider would be the people doing that. High packet loss to hops doesn't indicate congestion, latency on a traceroute going high and staying high for the rest of it does.

just tried it it today and it seems to be back to normal again  im getting somewhat decent speeds that i can live with .

thanks for the help

fyi rerouting is basically testing various routes/paths for data to reach destination looking for the optimal path . my sever supplier has a tool to map out the fastest pathway to my computer

Good. Happy downloading of those Linux ISOs.