cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying for 1 Gb but not getting

linny40
Superfast

Hi, i have been having trouble with my speeds for a long time. I upgraded to 1GB last March ( 2021)

after keep ringing and talking to different people across the globe & getting different answers I almost gave up.!!!

Today I eventually got through on the phone to someone to say my Upgrade was Still Pending??

My speeds have been around 200-300 on Ethernet, but for some reason much higher on my mobile.

I was told by 2 different Virgin staff that this was down to the upgrade still pending BUT I have been paying for 1 gb for a year.

They are now looking into it. But how can this be?

every time I have rang and complained I either get told I need the new WIFI pod? why as its Not my wifi but my Ethernet speed. Or I get told there is a problem in the area.

Why has it taken so long for someone to suddenly look into this and tell me its due to something "Pending" on the account?

Is there any chance I will get a refund for a service I started paying for last year, but Not received, due to it "pending" I was previously on 500m and with so many things now needing wifi that was just not good enough, so upgraded ( or so I thought ) to the 1GB....................... only to be told now I've not been getting it!!!

Can anyone help or advise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Linny,

You will find that Virgin do not send engineers to peoples homes, these guys are cable installers with minimal training in networking, and probably zero understanding of how WiFi actually works. Which is why you were wrongly advised to put it under stairs.

Out in the open in a central location is best away from any electrical devices, even for ethernet connections. A simple power cable can interfere with in unshielded ethernet cable.

Cabling to your house is Coaxial, which is not fibre, however doesnt inherently have a maximum speed up to 500metres if I remember right unlike Fibre which does dependant on the cable, but all of the connections must be fitted properly to prevent any leakage. The problem Virgin have is the underlying technology is old and out dated, unless they have already made the jump to DOCSIS 4.0 which i doubt due to our very low upload speeds.

Also the 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

75 REPLIES 75

carl_pearce
Community elder

@linny40 wrote:

Hi, i have been having trouble with my speeds for a long time. I upgraded to 1GB last March ( 2021)

after keep ringing and talking to different people across the globe & getting different answers I almost gave up.!!!

Today I eventually got through on the phone to someone to say my Upgrade was Still Pending??

My speeds have been around 200-300 on Ethernet, but for some reason much higher on my mobile.

I was told by 2 different Virgin staff that this was down to the upgrade still pending BUT I have been paying for 1 gb for a year.

They are now looking into it. But how can this be?

every time I have rang and complained I either get told I need the new WIFI pod? why as its Not my wifi but my Ethernet speed. Or I get told there is a problem in the area.

Why has it taken so long for someone to suddenly look into this and tell me its due to something "Pending" on the account?

Is there any chance I will get a refund for a service I started paying for last year, but Not received, due to it "pending" I was previously on 500m and with so many things now needing wifi that was just not good enough, so upgraded ( or so I thought ) to the 1GB....................... only to be told now I've not been getting it!!!

Can anyone help or advise?

You need to check in your HUB stats to confirm what speed your HUB is configured for. Access the HUB and select 'Check router status' then review the 'Configuration' tab.

Cheers will take a look

This is all I can find

D8C1F741-AFE2-42BC-9DF4-D148ECBB5905.png

For some reason it’s not uploading my image 

9643C480-379B-4BC6-83B1-046575E13892.jpeg

@linny40 wrote:

For some reason it’s not uploading my image 

9643C480-379B-4BC6-83B1-046575E13892.jpeg

On the main page, before signing in:

Got this photo but why are my images not showing up? Why does it come up with the warning triangle image being checked?

but will try & upload this one 

AA5579E0-2437-4C14-AB2C-9682A9C76AEE.jpeg

@linny40 wrote:

Got this photo but why are my images not showing up? Why does it come up with the warning triangle image being checked?

but will try & upload this one 

AA5579E0-2437-4C14-AB2C-9682A9C76AEE.jpeg

It's because images have to be approved by moderators... unless you use your own image host like imgur.

It's the configuration tab we're interested in.

Another option is to copy paste as text.

Hope this helps
I am still awaiting the guy to get back to me as to if he knows why its still pending installation

Router status

General Configuration

Network access
true
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
true
DOCSIS Mode
Config file
cmreg-vmdg640-bbt076+voc-b.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID
Max Traffic Rate
Max Traffic Burst
Min Traffic Rate
Max Concatenated Burst
Scheduling Type
bestEffort

Ive just done the Check my status on the Webpage and got this response.
I upgraded to 1Gb back in March 2021, and the only change to service recently is the Ooph Virgin Sim has now changed to the O2 sim. But no change to internet. So I have been paying for 1GB for a year and now today my speed is highest its ever been
Download Mbps
Ping ms
Upload Mbps

pretty poor

Looks like you've made a change to your package

You might find your service has a few interruptions while we sort things for you, so hold tight and give it a little while.

Need more help with this?