cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no docsis 3.1 channel locked on new 1gb install today

rotahn
On our wavelength

Hi all..

Installed the hub 4 today and am only getting 530mb ish down and 52mb up... so up is working fine.

looking at the network status it shows that it isn't locked to the docsis 3.1 channel only the 32 docsis 3.0 channels.

Can a mod please help me with this.  I ran the check on the website which said everythring is fine, which it clearly isnt.  I ran a speed test using myspeedcheck.net and the results are below, which are consistant no matter how many times i run it.

rotahn_0-1639349909032.png

rotahn_1-1639349935819.png

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - virgin
30 REPLIES 30

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Call VM and say that you are not getting the single DOCSIS 3.1 downstream channel.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I called and they were less than useless!

They had absolutely no idea. All they were willing to do, after some discussion,  is send an engineer friday.  They didn't want to do that either as they said nothing was wrong...

This is kind of the reason I posted here instead of calling...

Still...I did call... lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @rotahn,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues at hand.

I located your account, I can see you have an appointment booked in. Please do let us know how this goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

rotahn
On our wavelength

hi Halyey_S

unfortunately the engineer wasn't able to fix the issue.  He verified the slow speed using the kit and also that the hub isn't locking on to the DOCSIS 3.1 channel. During all the diagnostics he did also change the hub.

He tried to call up his support people who pretty much gave him the same reply support gave me.  No Issues!  He was telling them that he was looking at his kit as he was speaking to them and they were still telling him that the hub was setup for DOCSIS 3.1.  He then asked how many channels they could see that were locked on to DOCSIS 3.1 and they gave some garbled answer and said they would make a note, carried on waffling for a minute then said bye to him.

I really felt for the engineer. He was trying everything to resolve the situation and yet his support, were just as bad as your customers receive.  In fact i felt that sorry for him I suggested that i just carry on as i am for now while he speaks to someone.  I forwarded him an email with the information that he required including screenshots of the network settings etc from a hub side.

Can you guys step in and try from your side. 

Thanks

You may also want to note that since your upgrade you wouldn't have gotten the 'Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed' of 565 Mbps:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds

VM will probably use the below site so worth checking here:

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

@rotahn  indeed as @carl_pearce rightly says above, you aren’t getting the minimum speed as guaranteed, in fact without the 3.1 channel working, there is no possible way of you getting the download speed which you are paying for - so possibly a matter for trading standards!

Anyhow here’s what you need to do; firstly take a couple of measurements of your download speed each day, what you need is a value less than the minimum for three consecutive days. Then contact VM and request they agree to release you from the contact on the ground that they have failed to meet the minimum speed guarantee standards or (your choice) revert you to a lower speed tier with a commensurate monthly fee plus a credit on your bill for the inconvenience.

What will (probably) happen is that VM will refuse this or give you some BS explanation as to what it can’t be done or why you aren’t entitled to it.

Don’t worry, in this event request a ‘deadlock letter’, the likelihood again is they will refuse or possibly agree but nothing actually happens.

Again, don’t panic, just grit your teeth, carry on paying and wait for eight weeks, (annoying but worth it).

After eight weeks, you initiate a formal complain to CISAS, which is the arbitration service which VM have signed up to, (post back here when and if necessary and we can advise you of the procedure), it cost you nothing but does cost VM a fee to defend it. 

In your submission to CISAS, be succinct, include all of the dates that you contacted VM requesting help and their failure to do so, also include your speed test results, responses from VM,  ask for a refund of your costs for a service that they were unable to supply, an instruction that you be immediately released from contact so as to be free to find an alternative supplier and lastly compensation for the inconvenience and annoyance - I think 50% - 70% of whatever you have paid them would not be unreasonable.

As VM are charging you for a service which is technically impossible for them to provide (no 3.1 channels), then there is no question of you winning the case with CICAS, indeed it’s more than likely that you could short cut the entire process by initiating formal legal proceedings for breach of contract which would cost VM vastly more to defend although the Courts tend to prefer litigants to have exhausted all other means before using the ‘nuclear option’.

rotahn
On our wavelength

rotahn_0-1639871083365.png

This speed test was done at 23:43 on saturday 18/12/21 

rotahn
On our wavelength

rotahn_0-1639871230191.png

this is a screenshot of a friend, in the same town, who had the hub 4 2 days after me...

This is how it supposed to look!  Not sure what phone support don't understand about this. 

Hi rotahn, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with this. 

We have another customer having the same issue and the team are already looking in to what we can do to help. For now there isn't anything we can do to help but as we are looking in to things, this could change. 

Once I have any update on this I will come back to you. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs