Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

m350 - Speed issues - BB4: Lancashire

Good Afternoon All,

I'm sorry to make a post like this as I appreciate there are many others posted about the same issue. However none of the issues/answers seem to be directly linked to the issue I'm having.

My dad currently pays for the m350 fibre service through Virgin, which promises something along the lines of 189mbps minimum and 360 maximum. I have a wired set of systems upstairs, which were initially connected to the router downstairs via powerlines/switches. The maximum downloads I was getting were around the 70mbps mark. 

However, after looking into it more, I found that my switch and my powerlines were not Gigabit ports, so that made sense. I've recently upgraded to Gigabit port powerlines and switch. The speeds I am getting now are Maximum 120 and minimum 80. 

This is true also for a direct cable into the router, without the use of any powerline and any gigabit switch, which removes any claim that it could be these two middle-men causing the issue.

I'm not one to complain, because 120 is still quick, but my Dad pays for the m350 package, so should really be receiving at least the minumum that is 'guaranteed'. 

A speed test is here: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8981468578 (that is from the direct cable to the router)

Can anyone provide me with some help before I have to contact Virgin for an engineer?

Thanks a lot in advance, I appreciate all the help on a Sunday

Best wishes

Oliver

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: m350 - Speed issues - BB4: Lancashire

First thing is to definitively establish whether you are getting supplied with 350+mbps.

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, you need to do it on a single ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode _ I appreciate you probably know that by taking all powerlines/switch out of the equation.

So..just make sure your device has a good gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that) and also has the up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds). Run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Another-slow-speed-on-M350-area-20/m-p/4138618#M219126

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Thanks for the help.

So a few updates, I managed to connect a gigabit port with cat6 (all my cables are cat6) direct to the hub and I ended up with the correct speeds, below:

82913236_492061028391590_7223915673661997056_n.png

(Sorry, image doesn't seem to upload, but anyway, I hit 380 download. 

However, the speed I'm getting through my powerline/gigabit switch is below.

It's a little disheartening, because it's physically impossible for me to get a hard wired connection to the hub downstairs without an extra long cable or paying someone to come and fit one; both are unrealistic at the moment (as we may be moving house and someone would probably trip over a loose cable).

I specifically upgraded my switch and powerlines to gigabit ports this weekend, as I figured that would fix the issue, and to some extent it has. I've gone from 70mps to 120mps download, which is obviously nearly double; but knowing i can get three times the speed downstairs is a little annoying.

Is there anything I can do? Do powerlines simply not support 350+ even though they have gigabit ports?

Any help is appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Short answer is no. You will never get maximum speeds on powerlines no matter what their rating and it will depend largely on the "quality" of your electrical circuitry. You might get 350 (should you need it - why ??) if you are on a 1GB package but I wouldn't guarantee it

My lad uses x2 1200 powerlines to connect his high end gaming PC and consoles up in his room. He gets ~120mbps on our 200 connection (I get 220mbps on my iPhone 7 wifi or on ethernet to my Macbook. That figure though is only on the PC - on the xbox or ps4 it seems to be random and can vary even more - My take is that speedtests done on consoles are just inherently unreliable.
Thats just how it is - he is very happy with that and he is a "high end" gamer and that bandwith is far more than he could ever need

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers John! I appreciate it, I'll just crack on for now and see if I can't get a direct cable to the router at alater date!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

long runs (20/50m) of "flat" Cat6 cable is cheap quite and easy to conceal between carpet and skirting boards etc.. so would be a good temporary solution - particularly if you are moving house soon - perhaps try and make sure the new house gets "pre-wired" before any new decorating. N.B. ethernet cable can also be run outside to upstairs - using air vents etc or holes through window frames etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos