Menu
darkdaude
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

internet speed

i have just been connected like an hour ago but i noticed I'm only getting 90meg on the m500 plan is there a amount of time i need to wait for net to settle to get full speed or should it be 500meg right out the gate...thanks for help

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: internet speed

No it should be full speed straight away.

Is it a Hub3 or Hub4?

90Mbps is always a suspicious number.

Is that on an ethernet cable connected device. If so, check that you arent using an old Cat5 cable that will limit speeds to 10/00. Try a new known good Cat5e/6/7 (old cables do fail). Also check that the NIC card hasn't defaulted to 10/100 - it should report 1GB in the settings. Make sure the drivers are up to date.

If its on wifi what device is it and are you on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band? How close to the Hub are you? But test first on ethernet cable as wifi speeds are not guaranteed

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Pierreh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

That's funny, I've been canvassing the net about this, I'm on the Gig1 plan here in Cardiff, and
I've been having the exact same issues for the last 2 days, "capped" at 90mbps.

I did the usual troubleshooting (not my first rodeo) and noticed after restarting the hub 4, speed came back to "normal" for a few minutes,
but went straight back to 90mbps, give or take. And I've seen quite a few people in the last 48 hours  mentioning that particular speed as well, left and right.

I wonder if something is going on somewhere on the lines right now, It seems weird to see many examples of the same issue with speeds "capping" around 90mbps for a lot of us. You can see a few results I've had today:

Pierreh_0-1608944592763.png

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The 90 Mb limit is usually because a PC or similar is connecting to the Hub over 100Mb ethernet instead of 1Gb. 

This can be because of an old or damaged ethernet cable,  or the PC's internal interface running at only 100Mb. That can be checked in the operating system. 

0 Kudos