cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 5 very slow

alien_12
Tuning in

I got my new hub 5 yesterday, installed it OK everything seemed to work except when I ran samknows with a wired connection to my pc I got download of 189Mbps, upload 106Mbps. Rebooted hub several times but no improvement.

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Legend

What are the SamKnows up/down speed at the Hub ?

Is the PC directly connected to the Hub via a network cable ( i.e. not using a Powerline extender and not cabled to a WiFi Pod / WiFi Extender ) ?

alien_12
Tuning in

If I go into hub 5 settings / connected devices I see that my pc is connected to ethernet 4 at 1000 Mbps. So, can someone explain why samknows tells me different?

Connected directly by cable, no extenders etc. Curiously, my phone has download speed of 600 Mbps. I got better speeds to my pc from my old hub3 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Did you do a speed test before changing to the hub 5?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I was getting 500Kbps

alien_12
Tuning in

Just to add, I had a 3db attenuator fitted years ago. I tried removing it and found little difference.

Client62
Legend

The Hub is showing the network connection speed, the Realspeed test is showing the speed that your PC is drawing data from the Hub.
Boot your PC into Safe Mode + Networking and re-run the Samknows Speed test - often there is a huge leap in performance pointing to the installed software or antivirus on the PC as the limiting factor.

alien_12
Tuning in

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm still getting the same result.

samknows.jpg

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @alien_12 

Try the other samknows speed tester which shows the actual  speed to your hub and the actual speed to your device. https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

I also use the speedtest (ookla ) app on windows 11 which doesn't use a browser and gives a truer figure.

Screenshot from mine below

speed.jpg

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali