Menu
Mr_Pl
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

gig1 slow speeds

Hello, so we’ve been on 1gig for a few weeks now and have yet to go above 512mb. That said for most of the past week we’ve been at below 100mb with no changes on our local network. 

i run the Hub4 in modem mode connected to 3 orbi’s that are wired together through the house. Since doing that I can’t connect to the hub at all, even on the modem mode IP address. 

I’ve started using the SamKnows app to gather data:

3D17074E-590A-48D3-9545-B846F611568B.png

 The real speed option says it can't find a router. Should I be resetting the hub4 and starting again, or are there any other steps to follow first?

TIA. 

_______
Services: 1Gb / 50Mb Routers = SHub 4 in modem only mode with Orbi RK50 & 2 Satellites.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: gig1 slow speeds

You cannot rely on Wi-Fi for accurate speed tests.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Mr_Pl
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for you answer. Responses in order below:

No issues reported either via the link, app or phone line. 

I’ve reseated and tightened all the cables to the modem. 

bqm link: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/50288f743193b8fe4eff37b434486c2d65... 

I cannot connect to the hub 4. Both Ip addresses just time out. 

i should say I’ve tested this both on iOS and macOS with the Mac plugged into the wired network via the orbi’s. 

_______
Services: 1Gb / 50Mb Routers = SHub 4 in modem only mode with Orbi RK50 & 2 Satellites.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can you take all third party components out of the system and try connecting to the Hub using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

Ensure that the Network Interface Card (NIC) drivers are up to date.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Mr_Pl
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Happy to try, although with the hub in modem mode, I may need IP setting support. I’ve tried setting a manual IP but with no luck so far. 

_______
0 Kudos
Mr_Pl
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So, in the end I reset the hub 4 and I can now see the log in screen. I took the opportunity to run a real speed test and it gave the expected speeds to the hub4. Sadly my only portable ethernet adapter for my new Mac is only 10/100 (the other is built into the display upstairs).  I have turned on modem mode again and had access to the hub4 login screen via the appropriate modem mode IP address for about 5m. Sadly not long enough to get the router status complete though.

_______
0 Kudos
roughbeast
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had trouble connecting to the Hub 4 GUI too. My partial solution was to use an alternative browser. 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Can-no-longer-access-Hub-4-GUI/m-p/4347128#...

Services: 1Gb / 50Mb, TV V6 box X2, Phone XL Talk unlimited and mobile x4. Routers = SHub 4 in modem only mode with Asus RT-AX11000
0 Kudos
Mr_Pl
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Haven't had any success with Firefox. It seems to me that the hub sometimes connects, but mostly doesn't. If I can connect, I the status window doesn't load beyond a spinning red gear. 

Speeds seem to be up and down from 90-500mb, but never above 512mb since the first test after resetting the hub.

_______
0 Kudos