Since upgrading to gig1 I have been having a lot of issues with latency and packet loss. The speeds show fine on Ookla more often than not but sometimes show as low as 100Mbps with nothing else in use. I CAN NOT stream 4k content and have a hard time even streaming in 1080p. Online gaming is also damn near impossible. Had a twitter conversation with VM and was informed to post this in the hopes of getting an answer or an engineer booked.
We may also ask you for a bit more information so we can understand your specific issue like have you checked your speed using our Speed test site here, have you used a BMQ graph to gain more of an insight into your HUB's performance. Which I can see you have done, thank you so much for that! We also may need to you reboot your HUB so that the data on the HUB's logs can reset, this helps the performance and also helps us identify any issues on our side.
I have also looked on my side and can see your power levels are indeed out of spec and you will need an engineer to resolve. I'm going to send you a PM now so we can chat in more detail about dates and times.
Thanks for the reply. On that site the speed to the Hub4 is around 1085Mbps but to the 3 PCs and one laptop I have tried by directly connecting them its 94Mbps, never higher never lower. I have run the test several times on each and its always consistent.
Thanks for that. Oddly when the laptop was connected last I was getting the 94Mbps, despite it being directly connected the hub with a cat6 cable. But when I checked it was showing as 1000 on the connected devices so I re-ran the test and low and behold, it was working fine 950+Mbps to the device. However the Laptop was the only thing showing as 1000 which confused me as I know form trying to troubleshoot the issues previously all my gigabit ethernet capable devices were showing 1000 and the speed was fine. Now they were only showing 100 connected through a gigabit capable network switch.
I checked everything and came to the realisation that when I had relocated my Hub4 a couple of days ago I had switched cables from Hub to switch without checking and I had used a 5e not 6. I have switched back now and all devices are showing 1000 in connected devices and the speeds are great. I'll have to try gaming to see if that has improved and will keep monitoring my BQM as that was showing lots of latency too yellow top to bottom.