ive had a solid and stable connection since i joined VM nearly 3 years ago, last renewal went to 500mb connection - no issues until a few days ago.
i now get at best 1/2 of this speed, all connections checked etc, nothing changed on network or on hub. speedtest.net sometimes shows full speed of 500+ (but usually around 200 ish), every other speed test i have found and downloading any files proves that wrong as my max download speed is around 3-6 MB per second. doing download file tests from MS and think broadband give at most 3MB, Steam got 6.2 tonight - normally no issue in maxing connection and getting 40MBps +.
for info this a 3.0 hub and all testing done via powerful pc with 1gb wired network connection.
Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?
If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.
Go round all the accessible internal and external co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.
If everything above is OK we need do some more troubleshooting; to start with …
Can you post a 'Live Link' to your BQM please.
Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.
Post a link to your BQM on here.
Instructions for posting BQM Link
Under your BQM graph are two links in red.
Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.
Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.
On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)
In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.
im not sure on the exact definitions but ping and latency are response times. its the bandwidth thats the problem. my ping times are unchanged and normally around 10ms. however my bandwidth is now less than half. showing i still have good pings doesnt tell anything, if ping was high then yes it would indicate a problem. 20 years ago on adsl i had ping times of 20 ms but only 512kps. prior to this week i had ping time of 10ms and over 500mps. due to the nature of ping/latency checks they are only passing a tiny amount of data so do not show bandwidth/speed issues.
ok so done some digging on this. the issue turned out to be a windows setting. i found i could get any data other than http traffic at max speeds. anything through any webbrowser was restricted. speedtest.net mostly was showing normal speed test which is strange as every other download and speed test was not.
it appears that it is a windows update that changed something at some point in time that caused the issue:
open cmd as administrator
netsh interface tcp show global
this for me was showing 'receive window auto-tuning level' as 'disabled' - run below command to set this to normal
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
for me this was instant fix. can now max out my download from websites / speed test sites, annoying red herring thrown by speedtest.net, realised ive had this problem for months but every test i did showed it was ok, if only i had checked on a different speedtest site!