forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

contact

Why is it that as a communications company VM manage to make it spectacularly difficult to conta t them?

It is so water tight they should be running MI6.

Any attempt to contat them by phone gets the brush off.

Any attempt to get beyond the usual "haver you tried re-booting your router", have you tried standing on one leg on the roof etc takes you round in circles.

Why is it so difficult to speak to somebody? I can't even ring them to tell tjhem I want to cancel my service . 

And what is this all about - for technical advice use our "community"?

Is teh "community" another name for Virgin media's technical advice but hiding under a pseudonym or is it a collection or random internet people acting free of charge for Virgin who are dodging their responsibilities?

I have probably the most common problem of all, and have done since long before working from home became an issue, but trying to resolve it justs sends you round in circles and your blood pressure through the roof.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: contact

Tell us your problem the community may be able to help or advise you how to sort it

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

my problem is that my internet speed is slow, and that is causing problems working from home etc.

Paying for 200mb and getting anything from 20 to 60 on download speed over wi-fi, and 70-80 when wired in to the router (router is Super Hub 2ac).

I have tried unplugging the router and also re setting it.

But separate from that is the idea that Virgin seem to have adopted a DIY approach to customer service. I pay British Gas to maintain my heating system and if it breaks down they aren't perfect,but they don't basically give me a foum address and say - "here you go - see if anbody on here can help fix your boiler!"

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you always been on 200 or just upgraded?

80Mbps on ethernet is always a suspicious number. First change your ethernet cable for a new Cat6 one old ones do "fail" Then, can you try this first...

So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests. I have a list of over 30 links to them.

Post back with outcome.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I have been on 200mb fibre broadband for over a year. Can't remember exactly when but I could look back on my account. 

Why is 80 (actually it as 81) a suspicious number? It was higher than we usually get using the VM sprred test Oookla or something.

I will try a new cable and do as you suggest. Thank you.

But am I missing something? I am paying a lot of money every month to VM and have done since they took over NTL, so why should I be the one (and you for that matter) be trying to turn myself in to a tech to fiix their product? What happened to being able to ask them, or am I being old fashioned?!!

MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am just going now to find how to put the router in modem mode. Then find a new cable. I will let you know when I have done this
0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry - I have just looked this up and realise that going in to modem mode disables all my home wifi devices and I can't be doing this . It affects my heating and home security and I do not feel confidentbthat i will be able to undo the changes I make.
Thanks for your input.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

~80 (including 81) is suspicious because it suggests that the device you are connected on is being limited by one of two things which are easily checked without doing what I suggested.

Maybe your ethernet cable is only Cat5 and so is limited to 100Mbps max speeds - or if it is a GB specced Cat5e/6/7 one - it may have "failed" and defaulted to the lower speed. Hence first job - change to a new Cat5e/6/7 one.

Or... the device's network card (NIC) is only a 10/100 one and not a 1GB one. Or if it is a GB one it may have defaulted in its settings to 100Mbps - perhaps the drivers need updating. In any case look in the laptop/computer settings and see what speed is showing in its "connection speed" box - if its showing 100Mbps - update the drivers and/or change the speed setting to 1GB.

Testing in modem mode just ensures that no other devices are connected to the network that could be influencing speeds - its surprising how often that happens. Just switch off any you can and leave the rest connected for the time being.

Booting into safe+ networking mode ensures that there is no software running on the device that could be limiting speeds. Again it's amazing how may times that happens unbeknown to the user with things like Antivirus and Malware packages, QoS software, corrupted browsers, etc - so you can at least do that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
MrAngry666
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi .

Thanks for your reply. I have replaced the ethernet cable to a new cat 5e.

Can you tell me how to check if the network card is a 10/100 or 1Gb?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am Mac only (never use windoze) so cant say for sure. But connect your device on the known good ethernet cable and look in the equivalent of the Macs....

..... System Preferences>Network>Status

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos