Menu
colmick
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

broadband speed

i have run all the tests reboot, restart hub , hard wire conection.

I upgraded to 200 in march and have never received the broadband speed promised 

recently it seems to have got worse, i am aware that more demand is being placed on the service bu what i am getting is not acceptable.

40 -50

this is well below the guaranteed speed

can anyone help

can i get reduction in charges for lack of service 

area 20

account   [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: broadband speed

What network card do you have in the laptop/computer you are testing on - is it 1GB enabled or limited to 10/100?

Have you tried a new good quality Cat5e/6 cable?

Also can you do it this way and report back...

Connect the device directly on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connected to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers with the Hub in MODEM mode. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into "safe+networking mode" and try again.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
colmick
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

done all that but the speed better hard wired 60 but wifi 30-40 disconnected all other boxes only laptop connected modern laptop receive 

far better rates in the past

0 Kudos
colmick
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

done most of this
only laptop connected to router
bit better results than wifi
wifi 30 40
hardwire 40-50
tried 3 different test sites vary slightly but still well below what i pay for
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wired direct to the hub or via a powerline adaptor/switch etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
colmick
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

direct to hub still the same
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just wondering whether your March upgrade was actually applied - they sometimes dont get through.

What Hub model is it ?

Go into the "Router Status" pages and look for something like "Configuration File/settings" in there will be 2 boxes - 1 upstream and 1 downstream - labelled "Max Data Transfer Rate" (or similar - Hub dependent) In there will be the max bytes you can get - I am on Vivid200 and mine look like this on my SH2 showing full speed settings .....

Config file.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos