Menu
donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

are virgin media slowing speeds down on evenings?

i have noticed recently on an evening the internet speed has become unreliable. we are meant to get 100mb but the most we seem to get on an evening is 30mb. while updating some apps i noticed the speed kept fluctuating and at times was as low as less than 1mb. however during the day this does not happen and the speeds are as they should be.

0 Kudos
Steve_O1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: are virgin media slowing speeds down on evenings?

Hi donnajunkie,

Virgin Media do not slow speeds in the evenings and it does not matter how many people are using the network either. Have you tried tuning the internal settings on the router through the GUI?

Maybe turning optimisation off in WIFI settings will help?

Please feel free to Private Message me if you want some help over the phone.

Thanks, Steve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

donnajunkie
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou, i dont really want to attempt anything technical incase i mess it up. Especially at the moment. would turning off and on help?  It only seems to have been happening during peak periods on an evening.

0 Kudos
Steve_O1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi donnajunkie,

If you're worried you may mess something up, don't worry, I am happy to guide you through it on the phone.

If you do intend to turn it off and on again I would use the 'factory reset' option which is located at the back of the router. You will need a pin or pen to push the button down inside the hole for 10 seconds. The router will then restart and when it does your service should improve.

Failing that we can arrange an engineer to visit?

Thanks,

Steve

I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

DTD
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media customer services just informed me that they are slowing down Broadband services in the evenings, and that it is estimated this will be affecting all customers until 24 June...
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They’re really not...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Who told you that? Post a link to the source.
Its not affecting me - so something is incorrect in the statement!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@DTD wrote:
Virgin Media customer services just informed me that they are slowing down Broadband services in the evenings, and that it is estimated this will be affecting all customers until 24 June...

Ah that'll be one of the classic customer service BS answers designed purely to get you off the phone rather than actually do something about your issue - I take it you do have an issue? The important thing is that they can chalk up another successfully closed call.

0 Kudos