Menu
blueblood1872
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

advertised speeds going from M100 to M350

Hello,

I have been on M100 for quite some time and would nearly always get 110MB when I ran a test. I've just upgraded to M350 and can only occasionally just get over 200MB. That figure is well within the advertised guaranteed minimum speeds VM will offer for that package but I'm curious why I was able to get the exact advertised speed with M100 but only just above the minimum with M350?

I have the Hub3. If this is normal service then I will just downgrade back to M100 as I don't think it justifies the extra cost.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and can shed some light on the situation for me

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: advertised speeds going from M100 to M350

Is that over WiFi?

What speed do you get with a a wired connection?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

blueblood1872
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lotharmat,

Thanks for the reply. I was testing via WiFi and having tested with the only wired device I have at home I am getting the advertised speeds.

While this is good news it is also bad news as I only have one device connected via ethernet, all other devices are WiFi.

So, will I only ever be able to reach the advertised speeds if I am connected via ethernet?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are the wifi devices capable of getting the higher speeds?  Speed will also depend on what frequency the device has connected on.

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
blueblood1872
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and give me advice.

The WiFi card in my PC is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 which Intel claims has a max speed of 433Mbps

My mobile phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note9. I would have thought that would be new enough, although, I know it's over 2 years old now. If it's "too old" to get the types of speed I'm paying for I'll be downgrading back to M100. I can't seem to find info online about what speeds I should expect to achieve with it.

I have often wondered how I am unable to see both my WiFi networks, the 2.4 and the 5Ghz. When a device scans I only see one network. They are both on, I have looked in the settings, do I have to rename them to be able to pick and choose which band a device will connect to? If so, can I just do that but not change  "channel optimisation" ??

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes follow the protocol below. I never use any wifi from any ISP I have my own wireless equipment and use the bands separately - my devices are smart enough to switch themselves onto the 2.4 one if the 5 is out of range.

Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
blueblood1872
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I changed the SSID's to separate them but I did not disable the optimization.

Having done that and connected both my phone and my PC to the 5Ghz bands I am still getting the same speeds.

I don't see the point in paying for M350 if only one of my devices is able to achieve that. I will look to go down to 200.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is odd. What device actually gets the full speeds and is that on ethernet or wifi ?

I was wondering whether your speed upgrade has actually been applied or whether you may still be on the 100 package. If you log into the Hub settings and navigate to the "configuration data page" and look in the box marked Downstream Max Data Transfer Rate it should show a large number starting with a 4 (its in bps and not mbps). Worth a quick look.

Does someone in the family have another modern device that they can connect to the 5GHz and see if that gets full speeds close to the Hub of course - speeds will drop off quite quickly as the distance from the Hub increases and "obstacles" come into play

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos