cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another slow 1Gbps Service

m0xya
Tuning in

Hi all, so I have recently switched from 500Mbps to 1Gbps. I installed the new Hub5, replacing my old Hub3.

Due to my network configuration it is in Modem mode and can not be changed into the normal router mode (so please don't ask).

The Hub5 is then connected into a 1U server running pfSense firewall. All the NICs are 1Gbps. Running a test from the command line on pfSense shows an average speed range of 300-450Mbps, which is actually slower than the 500Mbps on the Hub3.

Please don't ask me to run anything in "safe mode" as pfSense doesn't have one. It is an enterprise class firewall and router and is designed specifically for this type of job.

On the private side of pfSense there is a 10Gbps managed switch. There is a also a Linux workstation connected into the switch. Running the speed test on this generates the same speed results as on pfSense.

Also, I am not using WiFi, everything is running on wire and fiber.

I spent over an hour yesterday speaking with the broadband help team. All they could do was go through the "script", which was useless. As my setup didn't fit into any box/configuration they "supported". I ended up being transferred to a very helpful technician who was able to trigger a re-connection (I forget the actual term he used). This resulted in a few speed tests showing 550-650Mbps speeds. However, since then it has dropped back down to ~450Mbps.

All the help-desk could say was "please wait 36hrs and it will be good".. Utterly useless.. They even said OFCOM would be monitoring my line and would report back in 2 weeks..!

Does anyone know what the SLA is with these contracts?

I am paying more for less speed..!

Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance..

Phil

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Legend

Got QoS or DPI enabled ?

Hi, thanks for the comment. No, I do not have QoS or DPI configured or enabled. pfSense in this deployment is only being used for firewall and routing.

Thanks,

Phil

Check the Hub's Configuration (tab) >> Downstream Max Traffic Rate  -  verify the expected speed profile has loaded.

Might be worth a test of the Hub in modem mode with just 1 computer attached to confirm if the service speed is ok.

With out knowing that it is a bit like saying my reading lamp is dim today but not measuring the mains voltage.

Hi, thanks for the comment, pfSense is the one computer directly connected. All the speed tests i'm doing are on this.

Plus when it is in modem mode I am unable to access the hub interface. That can only be opened when in router mode. Unless I'm missing something?

The public IP associated with the hub in modem mode does not expose any interfaces. There are no other exposed IPs or interfaces.

Phil

The menus of a Modem mode Hub would be at http://192.168.100.1/

All IP ranges like that belong on the private side of the firewall. The modem is on the public side and hands out the public IP. I have multiple C class IP ranges on the internal network, one of which is .100.x.. So that will not work..

Thanks,

Phil

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@m0xya wrote:

All IP ranges like that belong on the private side of the firewall. The modem is on the public side and hands out the public IP. I have multiple C class IP ranges on the internal network, one of which is .100.x.. So that will not work..

Your should not use 192.168.100.x on your LAN this shows how to get to hub on 192.168.100.1 when hub is in modem mode

cable modem IP.png

I will not ask you to change out of modem mode but you do need to at least clone your pfSense router WAN MAC to a PC for testing your speed directly to the hub  and if your not happy with your speed you should downgrade. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

@m0xya wrote:

Thanks,

Phil

Then you are, alas out of luck. In modem mode (technically, it’s a bridged mode, but whatever), the ‘interface address’ for the web server is 192.168.100.1, so if you are using that subnet for something else, then you’ll have a routing issue and won’t be able to hit the interface. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do about that, the web server’s address is hard coded.

Oh and incidentally, although, I’m sure you already know but for the benefit of others, the 36 hours was a made up, simple lie, and OFCOM are absolutely NOT monitoring your connection, that was, alas, yet another lie. On the other hand, it did get you off the phone and your call has absolutely been marked as ‘successfully closed’ in the VM call centre metrics, so not all bad then?

Hey m0xya,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your connection at the moment. 

I have looked into this and can see that there is an issue on one of your upstream channels that could be the cause of the issues that you're having, we will need to arrange a technician visit to resolve the issues. I can arrange the appointment from here but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L