Menu
TwoSkyes
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wireless AC/performance issues

This is a two part question, I'll try and keep each one simple.

Firstly, despite both my laptop and desktop being Wireless AC capable (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, and TP-Link 802.11ac Network Adapter) my laptop sits nicely on the 5GHz AC channel under Windows, whereas my desktop is being stuck on Wireless N, I use a virgin hub 3 which seems to have no option for forcing frequencies/standards on devices that support it, and doesn't want to let me create seperate networks for Wireless AC only.

Secondly, despite having a 108mbps plan, youtube is always buffering, the internet will drop out and come back, and I'll get short but frequent periods of network traffic stopping all together under Windows.

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wireless AC/performance issues

@TwoSkyes wrote:

This is a two part question, I'll try and keep each one simple.

Firstly, despite both my laptop and desktop being Wireless AC capable (Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, and TP-Link 802.11ac Network Adapter) my laptop sits nicely on the 5GHz AC channel under Windows, whereas my desktop is being stuck on Wireless N, I use a virgin hub 3 which seems to have no option for forcing frequencies/standards on devices that support it, and doesn't want to let me create seperate networks for Wireless AC only.

Secondly, despite having a 108mbps plan, youtube is always buffering, the internet will drop out and come back, and I'll get short but frequent periods of network traffic stopping all together under Windows.

You could split hte 2.4 and 5ghz bands on the hub3 into different SSIDs and force the connection by connecting to hte relevant ssid..

as for netflix.. sounds like a bandwidth issue (presumably because you're currently connected to the 2.4ghz band) - see how it is once you've split the ssid's

0 Kudos
TwoSkyes
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have searched the hub 3's settings page and can only find settings for enabling or disabling each channel and configuring them, where is the option to rename the two networks?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@TwoSkyes wrote:

I have searched the hub 3's settings page and can only find settings for enabling or disabling each channel and configuring them, where is the option to rename the two networks?

See this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Lost-5G-Wifi/m-p/4565281 

0 Kudos